"shotgun sight?"

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Ok this idea came to me in the scout/shmout/levergun etc forum, and as a result of dad's encounter with a deer.

Dad was posted up in a thicket over looking a narrow valley where we have known elk to cross.. well the deer that crossed came out of the woods at 90 miles per...

and Dad, Like me, doesn't use look-through etc mounts on his rifle, he mounted his scope close in-line to the bore for better accuracy; (30-06 remington 760 Pump gun with burris 1-6 variable scope) Well the deer damn near RAN dad over and was so close he "couldn't find hin" in the scope.. so dad "pointed the rifle" at the deer at 15-20 feet away and pulled the trigger.

Dad bagged the deer, but wasn't sure "where" he had hit it.. but it got me thinking..

How can you get a LOW PROFILE scope with a 40mm objective AND close-in sights.. is it possible to mount a shotgun bead on the barrel for this purpose (provided you practice the sight picture this gives??) say at 10 o clock? Or would it be better.. at really close range to practice shooting by just looking down the side of the barrel???

You would not need MOA accuracy here I'm talking about an "oh ****" kind of a shot at high speed and close range.. (ie hit a nine inch pie plate sized target as it runs by)...any thoughts?????

Has anyone else thought of this????

let me know... cause my rifle doesn't have sights at all.. and i don't really want to change the scope set-up i have, cause the rifle is shooting .5 moa. I'm shooting a savage 116 with a stainless "compact" fluted bbl and adjusable muzzle brake with burris rings and bases and a tasco 3x9x40mm scope

Dr.Rob

[This message has been edited by Dr.Rob (edited December 22, 1999).]

A few years back someone (millett?) had a set of rings that had a post sight on the front ring and a rear sight like you'd find on a pistol on the rear ring. The sights were on top (duh) of the rings. The idea was that you'd look over the top of the scope and align the sights on close shots.

Giz

Yeah i recall those now... but by the time you get over the 40mm bell you are 2-3 inches over the line of the bore....

maybe just a Bright orange tick mark on the top of the scope bells?? Or a bead there??

Dr.Rob

[This message has been edited by Dr.Rob (edited December 22, 1999).]

what about a optic fiber rod on the side of the barrel?

most of the time my 2-7 leopold is set on 2
but the brushy mountain sides i hunt in PA don't allow long shots

dZ

------------------
"walk softly and carry a big stick, one that goes bang in .308 is fine"

This might sound a little odd at first, but if you try it, you'll be surprised.

In the Marines, there is one stage on the rifle range at the 300 yard line where you must fire 2 mags of 5 rounds each in less than a minute while wearing a gas mask. Since you cannot get your eyes anywhere near the sights doing this, thankfully this stage is not scored.

Lots of things get shot up during this stage, least of all the targets. A favorite target is the garbage cans on the 200 yard line.

Now, hitting a garbage can at 100 yards sounds pretty simple, but try it when you can't use the sights and it gets more complicated.

I got pretty good at it by turning the rifle sideways and aiming down the handguards. The brass goes up over your head with an M16, I guess with most rifles this wouldn't be an issue.

You can get rough windage easily, but elevation takes a while to get the hang of. At real close range, like 50 feet or less, it works pretty good and it's quick. Sounds like what you are looking for. Hope this helps.

------------------
With my shield or on it...

Back