Shotgun scope question

wicat3

Hey everyone. I have a mossberg 500 that I would like to add a scope or red dot too. The receiver is drilled and tapped already. I have two barrels, a bird barrel and a slug barrel. I use it to hunt deer and turkey. I'm looking for a decent scope at an affordable price. I would like to stay around 100 dollars. Any recommendations?

If you intend to use both barrels for upland game without removing the optics and base you're pretty much limited to a red dot sight.

If Turkeys are the only birds you hunt you would be better off with a low power scope which will help you see better early and later, and will allow you to see through the brush better.

Anything in the $100 range will not hold up to 12 ga slug recoil very long. Decent scopes start with a MSRP of around $200. You may well find something on sale or used closer to $150. But don't waste time or money on a $100 scope on anything but a 22.

These are the least expensive scopes I'd consider. A 1-4X or 1-3X is ideal on a shotgun, but a you can usually find 2-7X scopes of equal quality for a little less money.

http://swfa.com/Redfield-2-7x33-Revolution-Rifle-Scope-P44466.aspx
http://swfa.com/Weaver-1-3x20-Classic-V-Rifle-Scope-P2864.aspx

I don't big game hunt with a shotgun, but If I did this is the one I'd use. I have these on AR's and a lever action rifle for up close work.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-1-4x20-VX-1-ShotgunMuzzleloader-Scope-P51851.aspx

I will most likely do more deer hunting then anything else. My father in law has a Simmons diamond pro scope that he uses on his 500 and seems to love it. Any experience with this type of scope?

If you intend to use both barrels for upland game without removing the optics and base you're pretty much limited to a red dot sight.

If Turkeys are the only birds you hunt you would be better off with a low power scope which will help you see better early and later, and will allow you to see through the brush better.

The Mossberg 500 slug barrel is a cantilever mount. Scope comes off with the barrel.

I will most likely do more deer hunting then anything else. My father in law has a Simmons diamond pro scope that he uses on his 500 and seems to love it. Any experience with this type of scope?
I've never thought much of Simmons scopes but some like them.

I like Leupold for most things and have had good results with some Burris scopes. Get the best you can afford and it will last a lifetime (or more) in many cases.

I looked into a canterlever barrel but see no need to pay 200 for a barrel when I have a perfect set up as is. I would love a Leopold but price isn't right and I had a bad experience with one of the scopes I bought.

Nikon slug scope . . .

I have a Nikon slug scope that I think I purchased for about $250. It seems to hold true really well. I have to mount and re-sight it every fall for deer season when I put the slug barrel on the 12 ga. I might take 8 or 9 shots to get it sighted in at about 75 yards and it seems to hold true. I know that is outside your budget but over the years, with scopes it's like anything else. You get what you pay for. I bought a really good Pentax scope about ten years ago. It's been on several rifles and still works like new. Plus a life time no fault guarantee. What's not to like.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

what he said

I'm with Snyper. Any "affordable scope" is a roll of the dice in my experience.

Check ebay if you can do business with them. I've bought multiple Leupolds under $200 bucks, several 1-4x shotgun models, that will stand the test of time, and Leupold will work on them no questions asked if they don't.....but you likely won't need them.

I put a Leupold 2.75x, acquired from ebay, (or was it 2.5x) compact on a pals turkey gun last spring, it was the cats meow. German #1 reticle, & shipping for less than $200.

I have a 500 with the Trophy Slugster barrel (fully rifled, cantilever mount) with a Nikon Slughunter 3-9X40 on top. I hunted Ft Sill with it for their special spring hog seasons when I was stationed at Altus. Worked like a champ. Never had an issue with it holding zero shooting 400gr Winchester Platinum sabot slugs.

Well i'm going to say it. I'm all over the idea of people getting budget scopes when their budget won't flex for better quality.

Tasco scopes will get you on paper for $40. It has been a long time since I broke one of those scopes. And since he intends to use the field barrel also for turkey the scope might not need much adjustment between seasons to shoot 0-50 yards on a turkey.

There could be many reasons why he has this budget. In a 40 mile radius of me is a shotgun/metro zone for deer hunting. Outside that I can use any deer rifle I please. I usually hunt several hundred miles away so it's not a problem but those one or two days a year. So in my case I bought a CVA Optima V2 50 caliber muzzleloader and topped it off with a Tasco Silver antler scope I bought sometime in the 90's. It's a great combo for a 150 yard gun that will barely see use every season.

Yes I just endorsed the inexpensive tasco even though I have a Nikon Prostaff that will be mounted on a rifle that will see more use. Some will even say that $189 scope is junk.

Tasco 30 years ago was a totally different company.
I don't disagree, but I don't believe they were ever a highly regarded optic. Mine is not Japanese made, but Korean. I guess my point is one doesn't necessarily need to spend a fortune to get a decent functional scope.

There's two schools. Once school that thinks that everyone has to buy top glass (Swarovski/Zeiss) to shoot the wings off a fly even if their rifle can't do it.

And the other that buys what they can to get the job done for cheap recreation or feed their family.

I've never had a deer walk up to me and ask if I was using top glass or Tasco, Simmons, and Bushnell (all owned by the same company).

There is a third school - those who buy scopes less expensive than the most expensive and more expensive than the cheapest. I suspect the third school is larger than the sum of the other two schools. :)

Back