Shotgun Rack for Truck

Skarekrow88

Looking for a good gun rack for my truck to hang my shotgun in. As of now I just lay it in my back seat but I really need to have it secured. I've been looking at some roof racks, back seat racks, and back window racks. Not really sure which one would be better. Any recommendations?

Look for a sleeve type that hangs on the back OR FRONT of the seats if you don't want two shiny spots where the gun sits in the rack.

I've always used the in the window type, but they do leave the shiney spots that VIL spoke of, but I didn't worry much about it. I've mounted them in the back of the cab, along the size windows of an SUV, in the truck bed itself, and on the dog box. They're good for a lot of other things than guns too. Unbrellas, levels, binoculars, hats, coats, let your imagination go.

Back in the day when I drove soft top Jeeps, I used a bungie cord to strap the gun to the (padded) rollbar.

There was a time not THAT long ago (at least to me), when every pickup had a rack in the back window and if it wasn't holding guns, it held an axe handle and maybe a 4' level............
Nowadays, most folks want to keep things a little more hidden - they make one that hangs from the back of the seat and stays out of sight for the most part - depending on where you live, that might be a way to go.

Something like this

or this

Oooh I'm really liking the Cabela's Hunters TackleBack. I like how you can stow your guns vertically or horizontally and all the extra cargo pockets on it too. Thanks for the replies.

I like the ones that mount to the visor points and the visors mount to it... pretty well hid and easy access... Handgun rides real sweet up their for daily carry too...

Brent

I think the second is what Brent mentioned. Perhaps not.

s7_220670_imageset_01a

GRP-27685g_is

Last edited:
I like the ones that mount to the visor points and the visors mount to it... pretty well hid and easy access... Handgun rides real sweet up their for daily carry too...

Brent

I think the second is what Brent mentioned. Perhaps not.

GRP-27685g_is_zps4f6745d4.jpeg

I like that too. Anyone have a link to one of these?

I used to just put a gun rack behind the seat in my pick ups. I usually used the one in the window for fishing poles.

Ended up ordering the Cabela's Hunters Tackle Back

s7_524136_003_01_zps0aef8849.jpeg

s7_524136_003_alt01_01_zpsc71db162.jpeg

Unfortunately the visor rack wont fit my truck...Too bad, that also would've been nice

Probably a good choice. Brent would know, but I wonder about how much weight can be placed on the visor rack. I think the Big Sky Rack requires double wall construction of your truck roof, unless you want the fasteners to protrude through to the outside.

The visor rack I had was aluminum covered in headliner material... Plenty strong never sagged or anything...

Brent

IMG_0080_zps4de9f68b.jpg

I really like Cabela's Hunters TackleBack.

The horizontal slots are a bit small and I have difficulty fitting some of my guns in them. It could be made out of better material but I suppose that's why they are selling them so cheap. AK fits perfectly and can carry extra mags, ammo, handguns, binos, or whatever you want. I would definitely recommend this if you want a cheap alternative to mounting something permanent in your vehicle.

Back