Shotgun Question

kwalityguy

I couldn't find a forum that talked about shotgun questions so pardon me if I'm starting in the wrong location.

I am looking for feedback on buying a RAAC 1919, Saiga, or Vepr 12 gage semi auto shotgun. Any real world experiences? Last year I spent my Obama tax refund on a new AR10. This year's refund is going for one of the above shotguns. Any advice? I am familiar with both the AR and AK platform so style is not an issue. Reliability is my primary concern. I want something that works, bar none, won't break and has a solid confidence inspiring feel.

There IS a shotgun section; called the Dave McCracken Memorial Shpotgun Forum and it is right under the Rifle section. Sorry I can't help with your question though.

Seems to have been moved; wish I could help you with your equipment choices, but I lean more to target guns in the shotgun genre.
Hopefully here, you'll get some good answers.

What is your intended use? I would assume that you plan on this being either home defense or 3-gun type competition. Personally I would use my hunting shotgun (A300 Extrema) for anything I need. If I can snap it to shoulder aim and fire quick enough to get a duck im pretty sure I could get a BG the same way. I also use it when I do 3-gun, sporting clay, etc... Going by that thought pattern you need to put your hands on the guns you want and make the determination by feel. I shouldered a lot of guns before I bought.

I'm looking mostly for entertainment out at the farm. I've thought about 3 gun events but haven't looked into it much. Got plenty of land so I thought about designing my own course. For home defense I have a 9mm with a combo laser flashlight in a Speedvault attached to my nightstand. I don't leave anything loaded unsecured so using this for home defense wouldn't be high on the list. Strictly a fun factor. As such, something that's a jamomatic wouldn't be much fun.

Anything that differs from the traditional tried and true designs is suspect to jamming issues. Look at Benelli, Beretta and Browning semi autos. I have shot all 3 and all 3 will cycle any load you put through them every time. I know Benelli makes some more Tac styles not sure about the others. Shotguns and being able to shoot them fast (=fun) is all about how they fit you. To me throwing 3 clays up with my left hand, shouldering and breaking all 3 clays is challenging and fun. But I could never do that with a pistol grip.

Back