Shotgun Question(s)

Ambidextrous

Greetings,

Quick question if I may, please:

Will a shotgun with a 3" chamber accommodate 2 & 2/3" shells, please?

I do realize it will not work the other way (I know better than to attempt to load 3" shells into a 2 & 3/4" chamber).

I hope to soon be purchasing a new home-defense shotgun, and my reason for considering a 3" design is that I already have a small store (about 100-150 rounds) of 2 & 3/4" shells that I would like to use if I can.

Are there any other advantages/disadvantages to consider between a 3" design and the 2 & 2/4" please?

Thanks in advance,
g..

I'm assuming that you are talking about using a pump shotgun? some semi-auto shotguns with 3 inch chambers may require the use of 2 3/4 inch short magnum shells to operate. with a semi-auto some of the recoil will be soaked up by the operating of the action so felt recoil won't be quite as bad but still there.

ANY gun chambered for one size will be able to handle the smaller size - and as you correctly stated, NOT the other way around.
Whether or not a particular action type will handle much smaller ammo (some folks like to play with 2" mini buckshot rounds in pumps and get feeding issues) is another story - but from a safety perspective, there is no issues with a modern gun for HD.

I must ask now, why not 3" for HD, please

Simply put...just not needed.

IMO, the 3" is most likely the lesser of the two between the 3" and 2 3/4" chosen to be used for HD.

Reason's:

Due to harder recoil, accurate follow up shots are more 'time consuming' with the 3".

Concerns with over penetration. There are some living arrangements(IE apartments, trailers etc.) in which a 20ga. shooting the 2 3/4" with a lighter load such as #4 buckshot is preferred. Far as that goes, many don't feel undergunned with the 20ga. setup in any circumstances when it comes to HD.

Last edited:

While the 3" chamber will handle all shorter lengths w/NP, a repeater's feed system may not, depending upon the exact gun.

I've never seen a gun chambered in 3" ....that wouldn't cycle 2 3/4" shells reliably ( if the gun is properly maintained )...but there might be some out there.

Just a note ....but shotshells are measured after they are fired...not when they're crimped. So make sure the shells you have in storage are not really 3" shells .../ but if you buy a gun chambered in 3" it doesn't matter.
------
I think most "field" guns and "HD" guns are chambered in 3" ...but there may be some out there with 2 3/4" chambers.

If I wanted a HD shotgun I'd go with a semi-auto ...because in a fixed breech( pump gun ) ...longer shells, usually have more payload and often have higher velocities and with fixed breech guns recoil can be significant ! An option is to consider a gun like a gas operated Benelli M-4 ....where the gas operated action will absorb a significant amount of the recoil.

If I went with the Benelli M-2 Tactical...it's an Inertia operated gun / so I'd pick the model with the comfort tech suppression system in it.

But everyone should buy and shoot whatever they want...

Two more reasons why 3" ammo isn't needed - cost is one, mag capacity in a pump or semi is another. To the point above about penetration, 00 buck and slugs WILL penetrate through common walls where the AR's 223 will not. The objective is to STOP a threat, not try to cut them in half like a mower does to a blade of grass. Many agencies were using 2-3/4" loads long before there were 3" loads with great success. This is one case where, IMO, bigger is not always better.

And to each his own....

but not everyone considers a shotgun or a rifle as "the" primary defensive weapon....that you "need" to have...

some of us rely on our handguns ( 1911's / or even S&W revolvers in my case ) as my go to defensive weapons. I'm not saying a tactical shotgun has no place in the conversation / you have to decide if its what you want or not.....but I think I'm way better off with a 1911 on my hip / or a good S&W 686 revolver in .357 mag in my nightstand...over any tactical shotgun, even the Benelli M-4 that I recommended.

Wow - loads of great info here folks - thanks. You all have really spurred me to think more deeply about what I'm attempting to do here, and what I wish to accomplish...that is, be prepared to accomplish, if, God forbid, I'm ever confronted with the situation.

You all have really spurred me to think more deeply about what I'm attempting to do here, and what I wish to accomplish...that is, be prepared to accomplish, if, God forbid, I'm ever confronted with the situation

A very strong suggestion would be to find a shotgun SD/HD course in your area to attend. Assuming the shotgun is going to be part of your SD/HD strategy.

If you decide to go with a pump just remember, a 'short stroke' in the midst of a heated confrontation can very likely leave you standing there with nothing more then a club that usually cannot be cleared very quickly.

If you opt for a semi auto, keep it clean.

Whichever you choose...practice,practice and then practice some more. You just may have to operate by feel in a low light SD condition.

Last edited:
Thank you shortwave for the very strong suggestion..and this suggestion (in particular) could never be a "bad" idea.

I do, however, have more than 40 years of handling one particular 12-gauge (Winchester Model 12), which, due to its length, is not appropriate for HD.

Hopefully someone here will interject with an "aye", a "nay", or a "maybe", as to whether this should be training "enough" (I tend to lean toward "yes" on this), though either way your point is very well-taken !

I do, however, have more than 40 years of handling one particular 12-gauge (Winchester Model 12), which, due to its length, is not appropriate for HD.

Then you may have found the best SD shotgun for yourself since you have a lot of experience with it .

Ideas:

Cutting your existing bbl is an option or buy a bbl. someone has already cut.

Listed here is one for $175 someone has already cut to 21"

Keep in mind that "Home Defense" and "Tactical" are two different animals. They - the self professed experts" - tell you to take a defensive position and not move around in HD. Then they preach a short mobile weapon. Why? I feel totally adequately defended with my 28" barreled duck gun. I believe in Darwin too. If I can't move around in my house with my gun without knocking into stuff, I deserve whatever I get.

Nay, a lot of years using a particular type gun is no training for a self defensive, survival situation.
A different subject, altogether.

Back