Shotgun question? Right forum?

NHSHOOTER

I was just talking to a guy at the gun store the other day about shooting regular "rifled slugs" out of a shotgun with a rifled barrel. He said that if the barrel doesnt say not to then its ok. I have heard that it is not good for the bore but then again, the slugs are soft lead and the barrel is steel. Just looking for your thoughts, experiences.

if it is a rifled shotgun barrel then it was intended to be used with slugs. it probably wouldn't pattern very well with birdshot

I don't know much about this topic but I did pick up some info that might help.
I understand a rifled slug is to shoot in a smoothbore. Not certain how that would work in a rifled barrel. But a Brenneke brand slug has rifling that goes the other direction, and I understand that particular brand works quite well in either a smoothbore or a rifled barrel.

The Brenneke slug has the wads screwed to the back of the slug. So the wads will follow the rifling of the bore.

In a smooth bore the wads make sure the slug follows the smooth bore.

A "Regular" Foster type slug, the slug just fits the bore at a loose slip fit and kind of bounces off of the bore as it leaves the barrel. The Foster slug is made of pure lead and has rifling swaged into the surface so the slug can swage down if fired through a full choke barrel.

Slugs loaded with the sabots are for the rifled barrels and shoot very well.

Yes, you can shoot rifled slugs in a rifled barrel. I used to do it. Accuracy is good(under 5") to about 75 yards. Not great, but not terrible. Sabot slugs will be much better.

Saboted slugs are best used in rifled bbls; standard/Foster-type slung are best used in a smoothbore.

Cross use can be done safely, but performance will suffer.

JUst because it isn't dangerous doesn't make it a good idea. If I had a rifled barrel I'd be using sabot slugs. I'd shoot regular slugs through smoothbore barrels.

jmr40, I totally agree with you and all I use in my rifled barrel shotgun are sabot slugs, I got involved in a discussion at the gun store the other day and that is the only reason I am asking everyones opinion. The way I look at it, why go thru the added expense of adding a rifled barrel shotgun to your arsenal and then use Foster style slugs, makes no sense to me, IMHO>>>

The standard (Forster? Foster?) type slug flies (relatively) straight, because it is nose heavy, like a dart. And so does the Brenneke (sabot) type slug.

In a rifled barrel, the sabot of the Brenneke slug provides a large bearing surface for the rifling and the slug is spun, enhancing the accuracy.

The same rifling will (or should) spin the regular slug, but does not usually do so as well as it does for the sabot slug, because of less bearing surface in contact with the rifling. Some slugs might not, or just barely get spun, depending on tolerances, due to less contact with the rifling.

Classic wisdom is that slugs (the regular kind) perform best fired from cylinder choke bores. And while not as good for accuracy, can be fired from any choke barrel. I don't know if that is so, but I can tell you that a slug barrel (smoothbore, cylinder bore) shoots better groups with slugs than a regular choke barrel.

Personally I think this is mostly due to the fact that slug barrels have sights, rather than just a bead, which means the shooter can be more consistent in their aim, so better groups.

Rifled slug barrels add another level of accuracy potential, and while not as good as an actual rifle for groups, they shoot better than smoothbores, with slugs. The down side is a rifled barrel does very poorly with shot. SO a rifled slug gun is slug only, (for best performance). If you have fairly modern gun that allows easy change of barrels, one for shot and another for slugs is a very good choice.

Back