Shotgun pattern

AL45

I recently tested my 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge to check the shot pattern. Using Federal 1 ounce 7 1/2 2 3/4 shells, I stepped off 40 yards and fired. The barrel is an improved cylinder and according to the chart on the target, this choke and load combination should deliver 45% of the 350 pellets in the 30" circle. I counted 223 pellets in the circle which is 63%. I fired a second time and counted 220 pellets. Am I to assume that I have an above average shotgun? Do more than 2 shots need to be fire to get a true indication of how well a shotgun patterns?

I wouldn't exactly call it "above average". It's just that your choke seems to be a little on the tight side.

Modern shotshells frequently outperform the charts, particularly with small shot and light loads. I had a factory 30" Full 3" Wingmaster barrel that delivered 92% patterns at 40 yards with plated #2s. Thousands of dollars and patterns with custom bored barrels and choke tubes and I was never able to equal that. Closest I ever got was 2%. Never saw another factory barrel do that either.

thoughts

Shotguns/barrels/ammo have personalities, as you just proved.

Also, "40 paces" may not really be 40 yds, if your just a few yards short, your numbers may change.

It's just that your choke seems to be a little on the tight side.

Yep, which is why the constriction label on a choke is merely the starting point; the pattern board will show you how that choke performs with your ammo. Hopefully, you did several so as to get an average.

Trying with a different brand may give you different results.

Thanks for your replies. I would guess that a uniform pattern would be desirable, which it seemed to be.

Back