Shotgun newbie has a question

mvdemarco

Thinking about a new pump 12ga to take to the range/home defense. Looking at something basic such as the Winchester 1300 or the Mossberg 590. Here's the clincher...I've fired many different types of rifles being in the military for 20 years, but never a shotgun. What can you compare the recoil of a shotgun to in terms of a rifle? The shotgun rounds I figure would have to be 2/34in OO since that seems to be the most common type defense round.

Mike

It depends on how heavy a load you are shooting and the weight of the gun. Light target loads in a heavy gun are barely noticeable---while heavy loads in a light gun are very painful-----I've heard it refered to being more recoil than a .375 H&H mag.

For your "typical" weight 12 gauge, I would compare shooting 00 buck somewhere near shooting a Remington 700 BDL in .30-06 Springfield. HTH,

Justin

IIRC,a stock 500, 590 or Defender runs a bit over 7 lbs,and most folks can cope with a 9 pellet 00 round in these with a little practice and training.For those who are unused to shotguns, tho, I highly recommend starting off with light loads and working up.

One early variant I had in my evolution of a HD 870 weighed in at 6 lbs, 10 oz, and while recoil was noticeable, it wasn't painful for me.

Also, ammo selection can make this easier. The Estate ammo mentioned in lots of old threads kicks less, and patterns tighter, best of both worlds, IMO.

Back