Shotgun Laws--Barrel Lengths

I believe it's "over 18 inches" (18.1+) without a special license, or you're committing a serious felony - unconstitutional law I might add. My brother and me when we were teens cut off the barrel and stock of a H&R single-shot 410 for a handy snake medicine gun for the sloughs (swamps) we used to play in. Later got worried about being caught and chunked it in the trash.

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited October 31, 1999).]

Assuming you are in the U.S., the legal minimum under Federal law is 18 inches for shotguns, 16 for rifles. There is also a minimum overall length of 25 inches. Barrel length (except in a revolver) is measured by closing the breech and inserting a rod into the muzzle until it is stopped by the closed breech; the barrel length is the distance from the end of the rod to the end of the muzzle.

Note that there may be state, local, or hunting laws that set less of a legal length.

Jim

I was just "exploring" and lookin' around in the BATF's website last night, and was reading the different firearms laws in detail. I don't remember exactly how I got there though, but I do remember the shotgun rule.
You can NOT have a shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18", unless it has more than 1 barrel, and at least one barrel is 18" or greater.
So it is legal to have a double-barrel shotgun with an 18" barrel AND an 8" barrel!
They say it's not as easy to hide that way. If I can find that webpage again I'll post it.

Like Futo Inu said, when I was young I sawed off an H&R 20 to 16" because at the time I was thinkin' that was legal. When I found out it wasn't, I rendered the gun "unfirable". It was a waste of a good gun, but I'll be sure to check the laws next time I do any "gunsmithin'". ;)

------------------
Happiness is a tight group!

[This message has been edited by Outlaw1 (edited November 01, 1999).]

I've got one like that that I cut down some years back well my father did but only to 18 in. the damn* thing kicks like hell i don't know how he ever shot it seing as it was a 12 and not a 20

------------------
oneshotonekill

Jim- not to get picky over 1", but I think the firearm must have a total length of 26" not 25" I will try to find something to back this up but I feel that is correct. The total length is measured with the stock extended, on folders.

Later
Daren

Back