Shotgun in vehicle? So. Cal. resident...

pete80

What are the California laws regarding keeping a shotgun and ammunition inside of your vehicle?

I would like to keep it in my trunk while making trips into not-so friendly neighborhoods but want to make sure everything is legal! Any info would be appreciated.

12031. (a) (1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when
he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a
vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an
incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a
prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

I suggest you go to http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html to read the entire section in the Penal Code. Generally, you would not have any problem if the shotgun was locked in the trunk and unloaded. Shells probably should be kept separate in a locked container.

Bruce

With regard to handguns you can legally keep them in a locked box with full magazine next to gun NOT CONNECTED this is pushing limit but does not specifically say otherwise. Shotgun should be ok but remember something about law stating you can not just carry firearms in car for no reason ie. allways there. To and from range or other shooting area ok. Make sure you dont use side saddle with ammo in it it will be considered loaded. A good book is "How to own a gun and stay out of jail" Written by firearms lawyer.

Do you know of any other books which deal with this issue and if so, where might I find them? BTW, thanks all for your info!

Back