Shotgun hunting

Young Buck

Inactive
Hello. I own a 12 ga. shotgun with a moderate choke, and a .410 bore with a full choke. Both of these are break-action single shot guns. I wanted to know, would both be acceptable for small game? would the 12 ga. be OK for skeet/trap/wingshooting? Thanks in advance.

------------------
To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth.

You can try, but I don't think there'd be a lot of success. As I visualize it the time for the hammer to drop would make finding the right lead to be a difficult task. Especially for skeet. I've been shooting for only a year and have not seen any break-action guns at the range. Not a lot pumps neither (and I am a pumpgun trap/skeet shooter). Maybe you can give it a try on a day that's not too busy.

Actually now that I think of it you won't be able to shoot doubles in skeet. Your club will likely let you shoot 4 singles but you'll be missing out on the fun of shooting a double...

The 16 ga single shot I started with at 12 is probably the shotgun I've taken the most game with,and certainly the most small game.

Yes, your 12 will work fine for hunting, and if it's fun you want at trap or skeet, it will work there too. Just skip the doubles.

BTW, hammer fall is measured in way less than human reaction time,whether that hammer is internal or external, same same.

And,a 410 is oneheckuva squirrel gun,and you should take it for some walks in October..

Back