Shotgun hull soot

cdoc42

What explains the soot on fired shotgun hulls?

After 125 rounds at Trap, my Winchester AA previously fired, handloaded hulls were so dirty my right palm was completely black from extracting and placing them in the rear compartment of my shooting vest. The same was evident on the extractors of the shotgun. I was using 800-X and Red Dot with loads producing 1200 fps with one-ounce of #7.5 and #8 shot.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Too low a pressure; are you sure your loads are running 1200? (As in shot over a chrono) Or, are you going by the chart?

One load I did was published at 1250; it was actually running 1180 avg), left too much residue. Also, are your chambers larger than normal allowing blowback to et to your hulls? A little black at the end is one thing, but if the entire hull is sooty, that could be something different altogether

FITASC, I would say the chambers are not an issue because this has never happened before with this shotgun. Only the top third of the hull is black, but for sure the extractors are obviously very dirty. The hulls have been used multiple times -how many, I can't accurately say, but the crimps are tight and don't have any central holes. I don't have access to the empty boxes at this sitting but I believe the 800-X was 23.0gr and I know for sure the Red Dot was 17.0gr. I used both Federal and Winchester 209 primers. Wads were Claybuster code equivalent to AA wads. (If I recall correctly, it is CB-1118). There were no malfunctions at all and any misses at the clays were strictly my fault. I did not chronograph the loads. The only issue is my hand looked like I had been handling coal.

Back