shotgun for trap ?

rebs

I wanted to ask if a shotgun used for trap shooting, is it possible to wear out the barrel or choke ?

I wanted to ask if a shotgun used for trap shooting, is it possible to wear out the barrel or choke ?

I have chokes that say okay for steel shots and others that are not. It's usually the narrower ones that say they are not. As for wearing out a barrel just with shooting target/skeet loads, I suppose it's possible, but it'll likely be more from improper cleaning or carelessness. Improper reloads could cause some potential issues as well. At least the barrel of a shotgun I'd big enough to see through. :)

I've got an old Model 12 trap that I got from an old trapshooter almost half a century ago. It's had hundreds of thousands if not millions of shells fired through it. The barrel is still as good as the day it left the factory. If you're using trap, skeet, or light field loads with lead shot, your grandchildren might have to look for another barrel. But I doubt it. :cool:

In theory yes....but in practicality no.../ if the barrel and the choke are properly made../and if the shooter is not abusing them ( steel shot should not be fired thru a choke tighter than a Modified) as an example but you're not shooting steel at clay targets.

I have a number of shotguns that have well over 500,000 shells thru them in the last 15 yrs or so ...and no wear on barrels or chokes.

I have only seen a few "clay ranges" where you have ponds, etc...although, they're right, if you have them, you will have to shoot Steel shot..or something non-toxic / unless its a pseudo swimming pool, lined, where they can remove the lead shot / and not have any waterfowl stop by to swim on their way thru the area.

In my area, all of the clay ranges.....mine the shot periodically, from the "Shot Fall Zones" ...and then the companies re-claim the shot - sell some, process some, etc..../ so they all restrict the shot size and type ...and it has to all be lead shot ...and no shot sizes bigger than 7.5's...

Back