shotgun for trap

Hey folks,
I tried my hand at a bit of trap shooting the other day and would like to get into it more.
I was think of a second hand 682 or 692 made to fit. Can anyone recommend anything else? Being only 5'2" I don't want anything too big unless it can be easily adjusted.

Cheers

There are specific trap guns for singles like the BT-99 and similar, but if you want to shoot doubles, and later maybe skeet, 5-stand and sporting, the Berettas (if they fit you) are a great gun. Browning is another option in that price range. Note that if one fits you, odds are the other will not - just the way they are made

At 5'2" you more than likely will need a to have the stock cut. Just how much or if at all will depend on other physical characteristics such as whether you are thin or stout and whether your arms are short or long. Should that be necessary, be careful buying a gun with an adjustable comb. Depending on how the comb was cut, it may not be possible to shorten the stock so as to fit you properly.

Before buying anything, you may wish to consult a good shooting instructor or gun fitter before buying.

over under rules the trap and skeet competitions, the only gun i liked that wasnt a over under was my browning gold sporting clays edition

Also, guns without an adjustable comb that are made specifically for trap have less drop in the stock which makes the gun shoot slightly high. They are generally choked Full if they do not come with screw-in choke tubes. Consequently, most trap guns will not be that suitable for skeet.

Stay with the gun you have .....for now / wait until you have 50 - 100 or more rounds of trap singles under your belt....before you start talking about a "Trap" specific gun / especially if you have to have a stock cut and the gun fit.

Personally my primary Trap gun is a Browning Citori XT Trap with 32" barrels...and if a gun is balanced / the length and weight of it may not be as big a factor as you think it might be right now. Give it some time before you spend $ 3,000 or more on a "Trap" gun...

Any decent field gun ...a pump or whatever...will be just fine to get into Trap.

I don't actually have my own at the moment. I used a club gun (not sure what model it was)
Also pumps are completely out of the question.
semis are also out unless I apply for a medical exemption.

I won my first buckel with a Remington 870 Wingmaster, with a borrowed 30" barrel (fixed full choke), and I modified the butt stock with cardboard & duct tape... :rolleyes:

How come no pumps or autos? :confused:

pumps and autos are just not as smooth and as well made typically and this advice about full chokes is only for people who are slow shooters. i prefer light modified and shoot quickly

How come no pumps or autos?
Because that will get my license cancelled and me put away for several years.
Bolt and lever is fine but pump is a big no no (pump rifles are ok though:confused: )

you CAN get a semi if you suffer from a lack of strength or dexterity.

The old Remington full chokes will shoot like a rifle, and when shooting a light load of #8's will really smoke a clay bird...:cool:

over under is king of the trap field anyways, browning citori is about the cheapest u can go and still compete at a high level in my opinion. my personal best is 89 of 100

If you stay up on world news, it has been that way for years now.

For singles, the single trap gun reigns supreme; for doubles, the O/U rules. Unless your semi shucks downward (ala Beretta UGB), most folks to your right will not appreciate you using a semi, especially if your empties start hitting them or their gun..............

Ok, well, pick up most any O/U you can find that's used ...or borrow ...or club gun or whatever until you have at least say 10 range trips ...4 lines of Trap per trip ...so 40 rounds of Trap..../ shoot as many guns as you can - a lot of shooters will let you put a few shells thru their guns if you're a good guy around the club.

I've never met a Trap shooter that didn't have at least 5 Trap guns...so just talk to some of the guys ....they may have a few "training guns" they keep around for training new shooters, grandkids, etc and they might be happy to let you shoot it a few days...( heck, I don't even like Trap ...and I have 3 dedicated Trap guns - a pair of Citori XT's in 32" and a BT-100 in 32" )...:D

At that point you can probably evaluate some of your fundamentals ...and see what kind of gun you want...length, balance, etc.../ then consider investing in a gun.

You need to understand and evaluate the concept of a "parallel comb gun" vs an "angled comb gun"....and how and why they might fit you best. Both of the guns you mentioned in your original post are angled comb guns...and typically neither of them will shoot high enough to float a Trap bird. But you need to hang around the gun club ...and read ...and figure this kind of stuff out before you buy.

If I had to pick one gun - that you should consider it would be the Browning Citori XT Trap in either a 30" or a 32"..with a parallel adjustable comb. Look for a good used one / learn how to evaluate a used Browning Citori ...at any gun club in the US - there are a dozen or more Citori XT's for sale ...( and don't get confused in the Citori liine of guns - there are about 29 models ) ...so not just any Citori will be ok - and some have angled combs and a few have parallel combs.

And don't forget -- have fun with the process !

Back