Shotgun for predator clean up

AdamSean

A few more days and deer season with be over. Then it will be time to scout for turkeys and get rid of some of the coyotes that tend to attack the birds. I am limited to shotgun where I hunt and have no problem getting close to them. I had one come within 20 yards last year. I am going to be using a BB type shot and want to know what choke may work well out to 40 yards on yotes from my Remington 870 Super Mag. The goal is to sit right on the edge of a small field. There is plenty of tall grass to cover me and I can see for 200 yards. We have plenty of rabbits so a little bunny pee and a dying rabbit call should be all I need to take a few before March rolls around.

So again, what choke is recommended for a BB shot? Maybe even these Hornady Varmint Express 4 Buck?

My favorite shot size is #4 buck, and with that I've dropped them at a little over sixty yards. That being said BB or even #2 birdshot will do fine out to about forty, and I recommend as tight a choke as possible. Pattern a few in your gun to be sure how it's shooting your particular shells.

Since you're limited to scatter gun, I would sit where you CAN'T see further than shotgun range. It will serve no good purpose to see much further than your gun will shoot, and will likely blow your chances. If you use good wind technique, and hide yourself well, a hungry coyote can't hardly resist coming close enough to "get ya". We have shot many so close that choke was absolutely no concern. jd

Last edited:
The land I am on is a very narrow bit and we are limited to shotgun with slugs and number 2 shot or smaller. From what I understand, BB is not much bigger than than so I can probably get away with it.

Let me also add that I currently have a Primos Tight Wad turkey choke, modified choke, and an IC choke. I have considered the slugs, but when I had that yote run right at me last year, it happened so fast, I would much rather have a spread pattern.

Get some of the federal shells with the flight control wad and use your modified or IC choke. That flight control wad really makes the pattern hold together. For shot size, the bigger the better however that is a problem these days. Many years ago, you could find #2 or BB lead shot all day long. However, now that all waterfoul must be shot using non-toxic shot it is really hard to find large lead shot (excluding buckshot which you apparently can't use).

I almost forgot that I have some Winchester Extended range coyote loads. They are a 3" B shot. I patterned them in my old Mossberg 835 with a turkey choke and got 7 pellets in a paper plate at 40 yards. I think I am going to start with those on the new shotgun.

You still will need to test your load with different chokes to find the best pattern
Also, you'll do much better if you use an elevated stand, since they will smell you even if they can't see you.

Use some scent or bait to lure them to an open area for the shot

I like to set it up so they have to put their head behind something that will block their view of my location, but will leave their body in the open, and broadside

I can honestly say I have very little confidence in shooting coyotes with a shotgun. I've seen the videos but it never happened that way for me. I've shot them with #4 buck, #2 chilled lead, #4 copper plated lead and never killed one on the spot(some fell after running some distance but most were never recovered).
If I was packing a shotgun while calling, I'd use BB shot size with a modified choke at no further than 25-30 yards.
I actually have more confidence in my ability to hit a close range running yote with a semi-auto .223 than I do in the ability of the shotgun(with common shot loads) killing the yote after I hit it.

Look into Dead Coyote brand Hevi-Shot load and their choke tubes for coyote hunting. It's specifically tailored for the coyote hunter.

I almost forgot that I have some Winchester Extended range coyote loads. They are a 3" B shot. I patterned them in my old Mossberg 835 with a turkey choke and got 7 pellets in a paper plate at 40 yards. I think I am going to start with those on the new shotgun.

That may work but I would think you can do way batter. There's got to be a bunch of pellets in a 3" B load, like 70+?. I can get 7 pellets in a plat with a 27 pellet load of 2 3/4" #4 buck. I'd try a different choke if I was you.

Here's a pic, that isn't really the norm, gut I gotta show it off since it does go along with the OP's original topic.

Me and my all around dog were quail hunting, and spotted a pair of coyotes about 200 yards away. I realized the wind was with me, and the sun right behind me, and started squeeking on the back of my hand with my lips. One coyote took off the other direction, but the other made a bee line toward me, and I dumped him at about twenty yards with this 20 gauge loaded with 8's. It was a big surprise for the dog who couldn't see what was goin on from down in the brush. jd

chokes

Only sure way to find out what patterns best is to put the various combo's together and shoot them. 'Course we all know that, right? But.....

Regards the Moss 835. The 835 is purposely overbored, and in my limited experiments with #4 Buck and hevi-metal Dead Coyote "T"shot, best patterns came with a more open choke, ie the Accu Modified that came with the gun. My theory is that pinching the heavy shot charges of big shot down from that big tube, thru a tight choke actually disrupts the shot column and leads to worse patterns than the more open choke. I more or less have seen the same thing trying to run #4B thru my Remingtons and their turkey chokes as well.

Doyle's comment on big lead shot is right on. 15-20 yrs ago, BB and #2 lead were pretty common in the gun shops and hardware stores that carried ammo and guns. I've not seen lead BB in ages.

The Dead 'Yote "T" shot is promising, more pellets than #4buck, and hard as nails, ....dang stuff is expensive........#4 B much more common.

The OP seems confident in getting 'yotes into shotgun range.......my only success with that has been in the spring, calling gobblers, and one sneaks in for a turkey sandwich! That has happened on several occasions.

I've blown a rabbit squealer w/o results so many times I can't count.

I almost exclusively coyote hunt with a 12 gauge winchester 1300 with an extra full choke using copper plated 3inch 4 buck.(Federal Premium) It is an honest 50 yard KILLER. No problems at all. It rolls em like a 300 win mag. That dead coyote stuff is for total suckers. Its 50 bucks a box and unnecessary. Check out some predator geared forums and get some concrete evidence. If you have a good set up and callin technique, most dogs will come right in. I used to carry a .222 or .223 with me as well but now mostly shotgun em. Its a bigger rush and just as effective!

Back