Shotgun for left hand home defense

mark lee

I have no experience with anything besides handguns. There is a gun show here in Lousiville this weekend. After reading some of the posts about shotguns in a defensive setting I am interested in getting a shotgun. I am left handed.

Any suggestions?

Mark

------------------
We are the people our parents warned us about.

I can think of two or three choices
1. On issue of bottom-loading/ejecting shotguns, you could look into the Ithaca model 37 or 87 shotgun. They are available in 4+1 and 7+1 capacities and have bead and rifle sights, as well as being available in blued or parkerized finishes. However, they can be pricey, since they are machined from solid steel bar stock. The forearms are also single bar, so the problem of fore end bindup is greater than double bar fore ends (like the Mossberg 500s or Remington 870s).
I know that a Chinese copy of the model 37 was available that was cheaper than the Ithacas, but only in the 4+1 capacity (but ii did have rifle sights).
There are a few accessories for the Ithacas, but I don't know if they will fit the Chinese copy.
2. There are left handed versions of a few of the major brands. I can only think of Remington as one brand. I thought that Remington made a left hand version of the 870 in 12 gauge, which may be the better choice. I imagine that it will be a hunting / sporting version (barrel longer than 20 inches, possibly a glossy blue finish and engraved receiver), and may need to be modified for defensive purposes. However, the good thing is there are a great deal of accessories to use with the 870. You just may be unable to use the sidesaddle ammunition carriers and have difficulty with a tactical light fore end too.
A great deal of companies are also in the business of working on making or customizing Remingtons into defensive type shotguns (i.e. Vang Comp, Scattergun Technologies/Wilson).

Mark,
I use a right hand 870 and shoot left hand with it. The safety can be a bit akward, but function so far has been 100%. No spent cases in the face either.

Browning pumps are also bottom ejecting and have a tang safety. They are even more left hand friendly than an Ithaca.

I am also left handed. I have used several 870's extensively, and mossberg 500's a few times.

I have never had a problem with the shells ejecting, loading/unloading, or operation due to my left handedness.

Remington makes left handed 870s.

I shoot a Winchester 1300 and Mossberg right handers with no problem. Never been hit with a shell from my gun. If you are looking at a right handed shotgun be sure it has a straight stock. Some stocks are slightly off center to fit a right handed shooter which doesn't fit a lefty very well.

Shok

Man, just get an Ithaca or a Browning BPS shotgun which eject to the bottom and forget "making do" with a Remington 870. Those lefties who tell you that an 870 will work are just trying to rationalize a bad choice.

And ya, hold the nasty letters and other hate mail from Remington/Winchester/Mossberg owners.

Remington does make an 870 12ga pump in left-hand, and they sell different barrels for it.As for the "right-handed safety", it's no big deal to install a "big-head" safety which might make it easier for you. $5 from most gun suppliers, do-it-yourself installation.The reason we like 870s is that they LAST. Also, the Ithica 37 will "slam-fire" if you hold the trigger down while you cycle the forearm. Nice for Vietnam, maybe not for recreation/HD.

Clogbert,
Iv'e had a model 37 for about 3 years now, and it was my Dad's before then. I had to get it out to check on the "slam-fire" thing. You're right, it does, but if neither my Dad, or me has noticed it in the 30 years that the gun has been in the family, is it really a problem?

Eric

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheOtherMikey:
Man, just get an Ithaca or a Browning BPS shotgun which eject to the bottom and forget "making do" with a Remington 870. Those lefties who tell you that an 870 will work are just trying to rationalize a bad choice.

And ya, hold the nasty letters and other hate mail from Remington/Winchester/Mossberg owners.
[/quote]

No hate mail or anything here. I am a bit curious though why you think the 870 is a bad choice in this case? When I bought my right hand 870, I did so because Rem offers a left and safety/triggger thingie.(or so I've been told) I wasn't sure if I would like shooting a shotgun since my only other (painful) experience was with a 12 ga H&R single shot. I figured if I didn't like the 870, my son would get it, and since he's right handed, I didn't want to go the full left hand route. So far, I have yet to have a problem shooting it lefty, other than the safety, and like Clogbert says, it's no big deal. I do agree on the BPS as far as overall usefullness and ease of use. I like the bottom eject and the tang safety better, but the BPS, while a fine gun (and I do love my BPS 20 ga), it isn't an 870. I don't feel at all like I've had to "make do" with my 870, but since I don't have a great deal of experience with it, maybe I'm missing something. Since my 870 does duty as a house gun at times, if there is something I'm missing, I would appreciate a little further explanation. No flame intended. If anyone else can expand on this, I would also appreciate it. I hate to think of leaving the 870 in the safe, but if there is a hidden gotcha, I would rather know now instead of *then*.

In defense of the BPS, look at the receiver on it, and compare it to the reciever of just about any other repeating shotgun of any brand. The BPS rec. looks like you could drive a loaded semi over it without doing more than cosmetic damage; try that with an 870, 1100, Moss. 500, Benelli, or Beretta. Can you say, "Squished flatter than a pancake?" :)

Having said that, I'll also have to say that there's always an 870 in my gunsafe. It's "the gun gunsmiths love to hate." It seldom breaks, and when it does, it's easy and inexpensive to repair.

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center http://forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

In defense of the BPS, look at the receiver on it, and compare it to the reciever of just about any other repeating shotgun of any brand. The BPS rec. looks like you could drive a loaded semi over it without doing more than cosmetic damage; try that with an 870, 1100, Moss. 500, Benelli, or Beretta. Can you say, "Squished flatter than a pancake?" :)

Having said that, I'll also have to say that there's always an 870 in my gunsafe. It's "the gun gunsmiths love to hate." It seldom breaks, and when it does, it's easy and inexpensive to repair.

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center http://forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

I am also left handed. I own a rem 870 MM. I have had zero problems with it. I did put a flolding stock on it that folds to the right and it does get in the way a little when I shuck a shell when it is folded, but this is rare.

------------------
"Guns don't kill people the government does", Rusty Shackleford.
http://www.fair.org

I trained hundreds of Correctional Officers to shoot our issue 870s, and recall none complaining about being left handed with right handed guns.

We instructors sometimes would fire the course from the support hand side for uh, betting or show off purposes. It wasn't all that hard scoring 90% for me. And, while I'm good, I'm not great nor possessed of superior eye hand co-ordination.

BTW, I've killed deer L/H with some quick shooting when they came in from the right. The safety's awkward,but doable under stress.

Also,any decent smith can reverse the safety functions in the 870's safety. I don't recommend it, controls should be kept stock if possible...

Back