shotgun for father and son

JAS10

Inactive
My Dad and I are beginning to search around for a new shotgun. For the most part we'll be be shooting skeet and sporting clays. He used to shoot quite a bit in his teens and through college, but those guns have disappeared in a few different moves. Needless to say, I've become interested in the sport...which got my Dad excited again...and now we need a shotgun. We're trying to keep the price below $1000 and I'm doing the work to find the most for our money. He gets to do the buying since I'm 18:). So I'd appreciate your recommendations, suggestions, or any info you could give me. We'll be heading to Cabela's this weekend to look around as well.

I recommend a Beretta 686 Onyx, used or new. Check out Jaquas or other resellers for a good deal. Maybe one of those discounted Fabarms in the Shotgun News would be a good deal. Well, I am showing an O/U bias. There are lots of good semi-autos avaible for your price range. Unless you skimp and try to get a "bargain gun" it would be hard to go wrong. Search the threads concerning advice for 1st shotgun for more information.

My brother and I just both got matching Remington 11-87 Upland specials in 12 ga. They shoot either 2 3/4" or 3" shells, and have chokes. The 12 ga kicks like a 20 ga. They are a fine shooting gun.

shooter22

With a little looking around, you may be able to pick up TWO autos like the 1100 or the older Berretas and stay under that $1000 ceiling. Both will last a long time, barring abuse/neglect, both have excellent reps.

That is real good advice from Dave. At the local today I saw a nice used Beratta 390 for $550. In fact there were two or three.

I have to agree with Dave. (Rare, me bein' a Mossy person and him bein'.....well a Remington nut!;))

Check out Gun List at http://www.collectit.net for some used examples of the 1100's.

Good luck. I grew up shooting trap with my father and those are some of my most cherished memories.

Thanks for all the help. I hadn't thought about picking up two for the amount of money we're willing to spend. That's probably the way to go.

Both my son and I shoot 1100`s and we didn`t spend any $1000 either. We both have 1100 trap models with both trap and skeet barrels. We`ve busted a lot of clays with these two guns and if you keep them clean, they`ll go forever.

FWIW, sharing a gun for skeet and sporting clays isn`t fun, and for trap, it`s darn near impossible. I`d encourage you to consider going the two gun route, if you can. (But that`s just my opinion!)

Not long ago, I picked up a new Berretta 390 Sporting model for $529. I am shooting skeet and will soon be trying sporting clays with it. I like it alot.

Back