shotgun build Q?

MandolinMan

Hello all,

I'm looking to put together a tactical/HD shotgun using a Mossberg 500/590 or Rem. 870. My preference is 20 gauge though. Doing some brief shopping online it appears to be somewhat hard to find accessories for the 20 gauge as compared to the 12.

Basically I want a adjustable folding stock with pistol grip, side saddle shell holder, red dot/ ghost ring sights, and extended mag tube.

Anyone put together something like this in 20 gauge? Not opposed to 12 gauge but I find myself much faster and more accurate with 20.

Just wondering if I can get what I want in 20 ga. or if I have to go with 12. hoping I could get some opinions before I went further.

Thanks.

How about using 20 gauge equivalent ammo in a 12 gauge?
Almost every ammo manufacturer offers it.
Then you have the best of both worlds.
20 gauge control ability and 12 gauge accessory selection.

Mossberg

Remington

Don't fold, but they are adjustable with pistol grips. Haven't tried them myself. I have a somewhat similar ATI stock on my Ruger 10/22, but that clearly wouldn't need to be a durable as a shotgun stock.

How about using 20 gauge equivalent ammo in a 12 gauge?
Almost every ammo manufacturer offers it.
Then you have the best of both worlds.
20 gauge control ability and 12 gauge accessory select

Actually, g.willikers, it may be better than either world since the 12 gauge will be built on a heavier frame than the 20 and that wait will absorb more recoil than the lighter 20.

I prefer a 20ga also, its all I own.

Recently while building my slug gun for this years deer season I switched my old 870 express over to synthetic stocks. Remington had what I needed but I stumbled across many "tactical" style stocks for the 20ga 870, I did not bookmark any of the sights but they are out there.

My 20ga 870; Remington rifled/cantilever barrel, Remington synthetic stocks, Nikon Omega 1.5x6 scope. I shoot Hornady SST's through it. It holds a 2"group at 100yds:D

IMG_20141021_222630_251.jpg

Yeah, after getting to be an old wimp, I tried a 20 gauge.
There didn't seem to be any advantage as compared to a 12 gauge with the Low Noise - Low recoil ammo from Winchester.
So, I stayed with the 12 gauge.
And if more power is needed, there's always the option.
Check out the Power Factor shows on the effectiveness of light loads for 12 gauge, right here on our own Competition section.

I shot some skeet yesterday with a gent who had a 12 gauge over under that was tubed for 20 gauge and damn was it quiet, as compared to my 12 gauge o/u firing 3 dram loads through ported barrels. Watching him work and seeing this thread got me to thinking that I may do better shooting doubles if I download to 1 ounce or even 7/8 ounce 12 gauge loads. I don't know why, but I had never thought about reducing time to get back on target, a problem in defense, in the context of skeet.

Actually, the guy I was shooting with was shooting light 20 gauge reloads that I bet were more akin to 28 GA.

2" 100 yard groups are incredible.

OK thanks guys. Looks like there's still options out there for the 20 ya just have to look a little harder. I'll keep looking till I find what I want and maybe post some pics when it's completed.

I have both a 12ga and a 20ga. The 20 is way gentler all ways around on this old body1 I really like the 20Ga double Barrel, it fits me better than my HD Modded 12 ga.\
I think I need to cut at least an inch off the 12 GA since I put a slip on recoil pad on it.
Wearing anything but a T Shirt makes the gun too long of a reach.

Back