Shotgun Barrel,Twist Rate?

Bake

I don't see much information from the manufactures about their slug barrels, or their screw-in chokes.

Has anyone checked their barrels, and found that some slugs types shoot better with a faster twist, or better with a slower twist?

Can we even get barrels with different twists?

Last edited:
Pretty sure that shotgun rifled slug barrels have twist rates about like muzzle loaders.
A one twist per 36 inches of barrel comes to mind.
Of course it pays to remember whose mind it is.

Excellent question. I would think it would make a lot of difference with sabots, but I have done zero research. Twist can make a huge difference in accuracy.
I had a Marlin Model 94 lever action with a 24" barrel and a straight stock that I just loved, but with Marlin's silly slow twist rate it would not shoot fast heavy slugs well, which was exactly what I wanted to shoot, so I sold it.

g.,

If I remember right, flirt locks used barrels with 60+:1 for round balls, cap & ball rifles +/-36:1 and call it a "good" compromize.

Virginian,

Again if I remember right, most 30/30's have a 12:1 twist, while most 30 Cals. use a 10:1.

It seams to me, that the twist would be of major importants, when choosing the type of slug, the weight, and the velocity of the slug. Of course the only way to prove that would be to reload, and chony each load. Maybe accuracy really is that important at shotgun ranges...

Virginian,

Too bad the Marlin Model 1894 didn't come with a 20:1 barrel. You could load the 240 grs. on the warm side of "Hot", and would have a prefect carbine (a real carbine) for the P/U...

Back