Shotgun barrel question

Maser

Ok, this question is just theoretical and I feel that this would be the section to ask. I was wondering if say for instance someone who owned a Remington 870 or some other type of inexpensive pump gun bought a more expensive shotgun and then decided to use his old pump gun as an HD shotgun and then cut the barrel down to 18.5".

My question is that what if he accidently cut the barrel too short. What would happen then? Would he need to take the barrel to an ATF office to be disposed of? Would he get in trouble even if the barrel wasn't attatched to the receiver?

I know some might say that he could just pay the tax stamp and have it registered as an AOW, but what if he resides in Cali where all NFA firearms are illegal?

Like I said before this is just a theoretical question.

Measure twice, cut once. It's measured from the bolt face with the bolt closed.

Since you are attempting to cut to 18.5", the extra half inch should give you a little bit of leeway as well.

Even if you go too far and it's not attached, then you can still be convicted of constructive possession.

Destroy/Dispose of the barrel and buy a new one. Slice it into pieces with your saw or beat it flat with a hammer and throw in garbage. Do not keep and do not donate it to ATF.

And I don't believe you can "make" a SBS/AOW before the fact.
I know some might say that he could just pay the tax stamp and have it registered as an AOW
Isn't it paper first, then saw?

Dean

Back