Shot to head Kevlar save

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnelmore

I always wondered what it would look like if someone got shot in the Kevlar or whatever helmet they use nowadays. My understanding its a tougher material than the original Kevlar helmet. I thought the person would at least get a concussion if the round did not go right through. I also thought the rifle round would go through. I guess this one was shot at range still there is some value in the helmet for the professional user.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/v...ives-sniper-head-shot.sam-arnold.html?c=world

I saw this when it first came out and JohnKSa and I discussed it. He mentioned a good point. It looked like the guy got hit because he was wearing the helmet, a high shot high on the helmet.

A straight on rifle shot will punch right through. However, if not perfectly straight on the Kevlar might catch and deflects. I have seen front hits zip around the helmet in the layers and exit to rear or be actually caught in the side layers.

Just a technical note. I read the latest Enhanced Combat Helmet is resistant to AK rounds and its made of a Dyneema type material. I am not certain if the helmet in the video is that helmet. I am no expert on helmets. Just what I read.

Is it me, or is the hit on this soldier actually a miss of his squaddie in front of him?

The soldier who took the hit was actually mostly obscured by the doorway from a side angle and by the soldier in front of him.

Hard to say since we don't know where the shot came from, but that's what jumped into my mind when I saw it.

OF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back