Shot the Mosin again today

stu925

Had some nice weather today so I decided to go to the gun club and do a little shooting. The 30MPH wind gusts were not conducive to testing the Mini-14 loads I had worked up, but I figured that the .30 caliber bullets from the Mosin would buck the wind nicely. Got pictures of the results, my 2 best groups of the day. 100 yards off the bench with iron sights and it shot much better than any rifle has a right to with the cheap ($6/20rounds) gun show ammo that I had. I did find that a recoil shield really helps me dial in the groups off the bench. This rifle is just too much fun to shoot. I did notice that the rifle is grouping to the right, this may be me but I suspect the sight was tweaked somewhere along the line. I'm still trying to decide if I should work the rear sight to get it shooting to point of aim or not.

This group is just under 2" the 5th hole can't be seen in the picture because it's behind the measuring tape.
Group_1_5_10_11.jpg

This group is right around 3"
Group_2_5_10_11.jpg

Good groups, especially for cheap ammunition. Which Mosin do you have? I've noticed the M44's POA is off unless you extend the bayonet.

i have heard that some of them were dialed in back in the day with the bayonet on and without that weight on the barrel they shoot just a bit off. this might not be the cause but it could be worth looking into.

Mine's a 1944 91/30, I have a bayonet for it but I'm not sure the guys at the club would approve of actually trying to shoot with it on. It generally shoots a bit high (6" or so) and that's a fairly easy fix. As for the shooting to the right thing, not sure what's causing that, some of it may actually have been caused by the wind even though I was shooting in between gusts (or trying to anyway). I'll take it back out when it's not so windy and see where it's at. I think I've committed myself to working on the rear sight elevator to get the point of impact where it should be, the Kentucky windage thing isn't working too well for me. This is only the second time I've shot this rifle so maybe I'll spend some time getting used to it before I do anything.

Stu

Windage is simple, just move the front sight opposite of the direction you want to move the group.

Elevation is a little more difficult but still easy. You'll notice that the slider on the ladder sight is what adjust for elevation. Shoot the rifle at 100 yards with the sight set at 100. Measure the group from center. .0061 off the sight moves it 1 inch at 100 yards. So if you are shooting high, grind or mill the bottom of the slider.

An example, mine was 8 inches high at 100 yards. I milled .0448 of the bottom of the slider. (8 X .0061 + .0448). Its now right on. Set the sights at 200, its on, 300, 400, etc etc.

Its easier then it sounds, just make sure you grind/mill straight or the rear sight will set cockeyed.

This does not affect the appearance of the rifle and does not conflict with CMP GSM Vintage Military Rifle Rules.

Back