Shot smaller than #9 bird?

DaMan

Has anyone here used shot smaller than #9 birdshot? I'm thinking of ordering some #10 or #11 for light "trainer" loads for a beginner to be launched from a 12 ga. w/cyl. barrel. I'm also going to load some pistol shot shells with this (but not 25# worth).

Would the smaller than #9 offer any advantage to a beginner learning with an open bore and light loads (clay targets only)?

If so, does anybody know where I can buy smaller quantities than 25#? This small stuff is twice as expensive as #9s!

Your comments welcome! Regards! DaMan

I don't think there would be any benifit for a beginner. The recoil, which is what most beginners have trouble dealing with, has nothing to do with the size of the shot.
Eric

Eric, I was going to use very light 12ga. reloads (7/8oz. at 1200fps) from a cylinder bore 12ga.

Considering the open bore and small shot charge, I was wondering if the #10 would offer any advantage to a beginner in terms of patterns density on clays at say... 15-20 yds.

Having never used the smaller shot, I wonder how far out they'll carry enough energy to crack a clay.

Regards! DaMan

At 20 yards, 7/8ths, #9 will break a clay reliably even with a cylinder choke. Skeet shooters have been doing just that for generations. This load replicates the standard 20 gauge target load weight and velocity. I don't think you would gain anything by going to smaller shot.

[This message has been edited by PJR (edited September 24, 2000).]

Back