Shot sizes

Nightcrawler

Buckshot is generally more expensive than birdshot. Also, buck only seems to come in 5 and 10 round boxes, whereas game loads (birdshot) come in boxes of 25. Cheaper than dirt has No. 4 shot in 25 round boxes, labeled as a "heavy field load", for like $5.53 a box.

Where is the line between "buck"shot and "bird" shot drawn? 000, 00, 0, No. 1, and No. 4 shot are considered buckshot, whereas No. 5 and smaller is considered birdshot, methinks, can someone with more experience please verify this?

Which shot sizes are good for social work within all the ranges a shotgun would typically be used at (55 yards and in)? I've heard No. 4 is the smallest you'd want in "serious" shotgun ammo, and that No. 1 is the most versatile, but 00 is the most common...I'm confused.

Last edited:
Besides #1 and 4 buck, there's birdshot in those numbers, but pellet diameter differs greatly. You're not the first one to be confused.

So, what IS the difference between "birdshot" and "buckshot"? I thought it was just the different pellet sizes, and No. 4 shot was No. 4 shot whether it was bird or buck....

Are you saying that No. 4 birdshot is smaller than No. 4 buckshot? So, exactly how does this system work, then?

:confused:

In other words, Buck is on a whole different scale from Bird. You can have some #2 shot that looks a little larger than the heads of straight pins. Then you can get some #3 Buck that is like pencil erasers. They are two different animals, kind of like comparing 9mm to 25ACP....even though 25 is the larger number...

I have gotten Buck shot in 25 round boxes... Mostly Winchester Ranger stuff. Though I did once get a box of HiBrass 00 Buck in a 25 round box.

Back