Shot size for ducks and geese.

Blindstitch

I'm starting to get into duck hunting and I've been decently successful for someone hiding out in a blue kayak in the cattail marsh. My first day out I got a goose and a woodie using Winchester 12 gauge 3 inch 1550 in BB. But I'm wondering if more bb's would be more beneficial vs heavier bb's.

I use the same shell in 4's for pheasant hunting and it works great on them but i'm not sure how potent it would be on geese.

Any suggestions?

I haven't successfully had any ducks come into my decoys so basically i'm jump shooting low birds and trying to learn everything. Correction I did have one duck land in my decoys while I was packing them up but I didn't have time to shoot before it caught on that I was there.

BB is a good size for ducks. I always used T shot for geese. There are fewer pellets but they are heavier.

Jeremy

It depends on the ducks and hunting method. Wood ducks at close range can be taken easily with steel #4's. Most of my waterfowl hunting is over beaver ponds and even geese are taken at tree top ranges, 25 yards or so. I've used #2's with good success.

Larger ducks taken when pass shooting at longer ranges probably need #2 or larger and I'd use BB's for geese under those conditions.

If you're using any of the non-toxic shot other than steel you can probably do just fine by going one or two shot sizes smaller.

I use the "Hevi-Metal" BBB shells for all of my goose hunting, and the little duck hunting I do. It is a little more expensive but it has never failed me so I am a believer in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last time I hunted geese I used a single shot 10 gauge firing #2 shot. Recoil was quite stout, indeed. But it was a deadly outfit and every goose that I shot went down and stayed down.

Jack

Back