SHOT Show: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Got a chance to wander the 1999 Shot SHOW today. Here are my (rambling) impressions.

There's *lots* to see of interest but real innovation is hard to come by. Of note in this category is Rob's wife's clothing line, RealTree Accents. While this may appear as shameless flattery, I'm quite serious. The mixture of camoflauge into *attractive* female attire is, to my knowledge, a first; I think it's quite well done.

Much ado about KelTech's new .32 auto. It *is* small and it *is* inexpensive (@$200). Other than that, I am not impressed (sorry Spectre). Double Action Only with a rather poor finish and larger than the Seecamp ranks it a cheap imitator, IMHO. Nothing wrong with that, overall.

*Finally* got to handle Robar's Glock grip reduction, which renders the angle similar to the 1911. This is worth checking out; they do a fine job. As the owner of about a half dozen Gaston specials, however, I am loathe to fork out the $150 per to convertall of them. Time will tell if I'll be happy converting just one.

The new Glock 36. Ah, yes, the single stack, 6 shot, .45 auto. Interesting, to say the least. They will not confirm a 10mm variant at this time, though I believe it would be ambitious for any defensive shooter to attempt full power 10mm loads in a Glock with a mainspring housing that narrow. The gun feels *good* and I will probably buy one. Unfortunately, at 6+1, I cannot think of a niche that it can fill better than a tuned Colt Lightweight Officer model, except in price.

Robar, BTW, is taking large framed Glocks and reducing the mag capacity, while retaining the slide length. Thus, you can have the grips of your G20 or 23, for instance, cut down to the size (and mag capacity) of the G29 and 27. For those of us with 40's vision, and the need to conceal, every inch helps.

Steyr has introduced the Scout .376. Again, I was interested. However, again, I question the niche. It seems unlikely that the existing .308 or 7mm will be inadequate for North American game while the .376 is not considered optimal for dangerous game. So, what's it used for? I'm not a big time hunter and would appreciate info here.

Trijicon has come out with a new generation Reflex sight which sports a triangle rather than dot. Ostensibly, the dot covers too much of the target at distance and the triangle allows you to place the traget *on top* of the triangle. Infatuated at first, I found it slower than the dot sight. Now I question why the dot is "too large" in an unmagnified optic. The older, dot sight is not being retired.

I was duly impressed with Kimber's products and would have ordered one if they hadn't referred me to a Dealer in my area. (This is a good thing, economically, but really kills the impulse buy.) I find their finishes, triggers, sights, options and "feel" are well worth the money. While I did sit with Les Baer and work up an order for a Lightweight Officer with Commander slide, the price is almost 3X that of a Kimber Custom. The quality of the LB is certainly higher, but hardly 3X higher.

Then we have EAA. Oy! While I was sadly disappointed in the lack of scantily clad babes sporting Saran Wrap gowns, I am even more unimpressed with their offerings. The triggers are terrible, the finishes are poor and the slides are too small to get a hand on. No wonder they need to sell their products with nearly naked women.

Finally, I was surprised at the number of Knife makers...not just Buck, Cold Steel, KayBar and BenchMade, but a host of hand made and semi hand made brands including: Busse, MicroTech, Emerson, Mission, Bud Nealy and others. The notable absence of our favored rabble rousing canine did little to urge me on to part with my money.

At one counter a maker who admitted copying Chris Reeve's titanium Sebenza lock, explained that Chris had done it "all wrong"; that *Chris'* lock would break with the slightest outward pressure. (If imitation is the highest form of flattery, Chris and Anne should be walking on air.) He then handed me a fixed blade and asked me who's market niche I thought *it* might fall into? It was obvious that he was referring to those who believe they can buy Mad Dog quality at half the price...I didn't bother to explain that Kevin was probably greatful for the decrease in phone inquiries from that "segment" of the market.

At another "big name" knifemaker's booth, I experienced enormous difficulty opening a very compact folder by rotating the stud with my thumb. Rather than attributing the problem to it's cause (my alien sized digits), the child-expert behind the counter launched into a treatise on tactical indexing and opening of folders. I replied by producing an open and palmed Sebenza and suggesting that maybe all knives didn't fit all hands...he was quite insulted at the apparent slur to his Company name.

I understand Spectre, Scott Evans, Spark and Mike Turber are here. If either reads this, please get in touch with me at 892-6000 X2611.

Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited 02-03-99).]

Indeed! Scott Evans where are you ?? I am at 404-659-000 rm 1018.
(I want my holster ;))!

oh, and.. Thanks for the comments on the clothing Rich ;).

The Girls won an award today from Shooting Industry Magazine for their designs.

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 02-03-99).]

A thought. Maybe the triangle is to slow because we as a society/world are not accustommed to the triangle. Maybe the triangle is so foriegn to us that it take the mind a little longer to process. that was just a thought

Well, Rich: at least we can agree that "Realtree Accents" really are very attractive. I won't be able to make the seminar, but hope to drop in to look at the holsters and such. See you then?

(and-uh-is that "800", "770", "404", or "678"?)

770 294 0069

Rob:

Sorry I had to skip out early, but I now have my new, almost minty, Colt preban AR15A2, and 7 mags! :D

Rich wrote: I was duly impressed with Kimber's products (snip) I find their finishes, triggers, sights, options and "feel" are well worth the money.

I, too, have been impressed with the Kimbers. I don't care for the plastic trigger and mainspring housing (both easily replaced) and I would have prefered them to use a standard GI-type dovetail for the rear sight, rather than their proprietary "low-mount" cut. But, all in all, they're great values.

Until recently, all of the alloy Kimber frames I had seen had a black (anodized?) finish. This made for a strange looking beast when coupled with a stainless slide. Colt went down this road too, with the initial run of CCO's. (I digress, but I find it interesting that some folks call this "black frame/white slide" bass-ackward look "European". I suppose this is because SIG has fielded some similarly done pistols. I prefer to consider the moniker a commentary on European pistol "expertise").

Anyhooooo, at a recent gunshow I saw an alloy framed Kimber that had a plated frame, in an attempt to match the other components which were of stainless. The plating was overly shiny and the plating itself or the underlying metal had been given a much-too-coarse finish. As I stood there, looking at the ugly finish, I started having a feeling that I'd seen this finish before. Then it struck me. This finish had the same appearance as the finish on an off-brand set of "vise-grips" that I had picked up out of one of those discount tool bins. Kimber had perfectly captured the simultaneously too shiny and too coarse look of the plating on this cheap tool. Yuck!

Rosco

Rich
In the latest G&A in Cooper's Corner, he explains why the .376 Steyr. To quote Cooper "The .376 Steyr is ballistically very much the deceased .350 Remington Magnum, which though it did not sell, was an excellent round It's caliber is .376, rather than .350, simply as a rule-beating device - the rule being silly and worthy of evasion."

I too spent Mon, Tue and Wed. looking at stuff and making the good ole boy rounds seeing all of my friends (and a few of the other kind too). Talked to Charlie Petty for a tad. Liked the keltec 32. neatr little piece esp since Fed makes a soft point that works in this cal (better than a sharp stick). Liked the S&W Titanium snubs. the hammerless 44 spl was a hoot. Liked the new Taurus light weights too. Note: I like large holes in my rifles/handguns(can't you tell). Saw the G36, its OK, but HoHum. The new Styer is really pulling Gastons crank. The big DOG speaks now. Bet he doesn't sue Styer. Liked the Savage Scout esp in my favorite rifle cal , 7x08. A lot of new lever guns and variants out there. WW 94s in 444, and big guns in 44 mag. Lots of 44Mag/Spl abd 45 colt levers for cowboys and people like me who like a handy carbine. Nothing at Remington, WW or Ruger really turned my head. Oh yes, Colt has a revolver that will shoot most any 38/357/9mm/380 even mixed in the cylinder (if you like that sort of thing). Cold Steel had a few new knives that I will probably spend my $$ on. A neat fixed blade Benchmade I HAVE to have.

------------------
Vinny

I liked the titanium wheelguns, too. Didn't see one in .45LC, though...Savage Scout I find much more appealing than Steyr. Sorry I missed the Colt multi-cartridge revolver.

looked at the new Atagua arms 32 at shot. Seems to be very nice and finally available. It is a little more expensive than the NAA gaurdian but it seems to have a better grip. They are offering a lifetime warranty and claim it'll feed about any hollowpoint. I ordered 2 so we'll see. I was moderatly underwhelmed by the Colt pocket 9 , it's almost as large as the defender. I hope it functions well as it'll probably be a big hit. I liked the Kel-tec 32 and will probably order one for myself once it's available. Armalite had a new 50 bmg. That was one nice rifle! If your in the market for a HIGH end 1911 look at Rock River arms. They have some really nice stuff. These guys used to work for Les Baer and Springfield armory but have gone out on their own. Quality seemed to be on a par with Baer but for hundreds less. Seems that many overseas company's are starting to show pump rifle's in 223 and 308 in order to get around the import ban. Saw the new crossfire 223 and 12 guage rifle , at $1700.00 dealer seems to be a very expensive pump rifle. I am glad it'll be in Vegas next year.

------------------
www.customholsters.com
M/D ENTERPRISES Custom Concealment Holsters
mde@icsi.net

Mark,

The Crossfire has been at the last three SHOT shows with very minro changes everytime. It has never shipped to a distributor. In fact, I went to two of the distributor's that they were refferring potential customers tow and the people at those booths had not information on the gun, nor would they give me a dealer price quote.

It is an interesting concept, But I'll wait until its on the shelves of local shops (if ever) before I get re-interested.

Rich, didn't someone come out with the poor man's answer to the Steyr Scout rifle?

Oops, see that Olegunftr has brought it up. Anyone know how much, other features. Is it like Steyr's?

As for .32s, at about 2/5ths the price of the Autauga & Guardian, what do you lose with the Kel-Tec?

[This message has been edited by DanOK (edited 02-12-99).]

I'm not Rich.. but the Savage Scout is no Steyr Ecout either!....

If that is the gun you mean, I was unimpressed. What's more, for practically the same money you can build a psuedo-scout on a Remington 700 (like I did ;)).

The fit just wasn't up to par with the Remington and it was not noticably light. In fact, the full size Bolt Offerings from Colt were much lighter in magnum calibres with scopes!

Savage obviously makes a great bargain hunting rifle, but I think they bit off more than they could chew and are charging more than they should with the Scout. It may be popular, but I suggest doing yourself a favor and building yourself a Remington Psuedo Scout for under $700.

------------------
-Essayons

Back