Shot Show - Steyr Mountain Rifle info?

huge

I've been looking for a Steyr Prohunter carbine in .308 with a 20" barrel. A dealer advises that Steyr now lists these features on a model called the "Mountain Rifle". Unfortunately, neither he nor his distributor have pictures or other details. I'm hoping that a reader attended the Shot Show and picked up a 1999 Steyr brochure that identifies this offering. Can anyone shed more light on this model? TIA

huge-
I don't recall noting it at the SHOT show. However, I did have all the literature I collected shipped back UPS. I should have it here late this week. If Rob or one of the others doesn't respond to you by then, I will post it for you.
Rich

I've been talking with Huge through Email... I was too busy being pressured about the Scout to notice much of the SBS line ;).

I am going to try to get some info from GSI.

Thanks guys. As I told Rob, I read a glowing review of the SBS Prohunter with the 20" barrel. It was, however, a carbine model designed for LE and not widely available. I am told that the Mountain Rifle is basically the same critter with the optional 10 round detachable magazine as standard. I'm curious to know if the barrel contour, weight, etc. are different than the Prohunter.

Got my self mailed package today.

Here's the info available in the Dealer's Price List Brochure:

SBS Prohunter Mountain Rifel- Synthetic Stock; New for 1999
20" barrel, no sights, matte blue finish, 2 removable butt spacers, flush mounted QD swivels, accepts optional Hi-Cap mag kit, receiver engraved "Mountain Rifle"
Dealer: $599.20
Retail: $749.00

Part # Cal
5MF.07.12.00 243 Win
5MF.09.12.00 25/06
5MF.12.12.00 270 Win
5MF.13.12.00 7mm-08 Rem
5MF.16.12.00 308 Win
5MF.17.12.00 30/06
5MF.10.12.00 6.5X55

Rich

Rich,

Thanks so much. That seems to be identical to the 20" barrel Prohunter I have been looking for since I read a review. That review tested one in a Lahti Evaluator (sort of a Ransom rest for rifles) and its best group with Hornady Light Magnums put three rounds in 0.19", with an average of 5 three shots groups being .59 for the same load. Average for 55 three shot groups of 11 different loads was 1.025". This, and seven pounds on the button without scope or rings. This thing may be worth a closer inspection. Thanks again.

The SBS Forester Mountain Rifle is the same model with Walnut stock. Sorry they didn't inlude weights.

Others are the Prohunter Youth/Ladies Rifle...I'd stay away from this due to it's insult value....and the Prohunter .376 Steyr.
Rich

Back