Shot recovery and accuracy

Green Lantern

Went to range today to try out some things.
The CZ 75B mags worked perfectly in my SAR K2P 9mm.

Got my first shots in, on the Ruger 22/45 Mark II.
Beautiful shooting gun. Love the trigger pull.

Anyway, when I shoot, I'm way more accurate fast shooting than stopping to take aim. Sounds silly?
As soon as the shot is fired, the recovery shot instantly follows.
Not sure of my terminology. Fast or speed shooting I'm way better.

Thoughts?

Tried some other hand holds because the Ruger has the finger grip on the trigger guard. That helps when I apply that to the 9mm.

Anyway, when I shoot, I'm way more accurate fast shooting than stopping to take aim. Sounds silly?

Three observations.

1. Pistol accuracy requires a bit of mental focus. If long pauses between shots let all sorts of distracting thoughts (why did that last shot land left? Am I holding this thing correctly? Did I forget to make this year's Roth IRA contribution?), those pauses may destroy your focus.

2. Despite what at least one slow fire coach thought, I believe that shooters have a natural cadence much the way horses and runners have a natural speed. Shooting at a cadence that is not comfortable might give you larger groups.

3. Something might be wrong with your pistol if a string of deliberately aimed shots is not smaller than a pointed magazine dump. I long ago had a CZ52 that just wasn't a very accurate pistol, and was quite snappy as well. Consequently, after each shot the snappiness put the muzzle right about where it was before the shot, putting unaimed dumps into about the same area as carefully aimed fire.

Unless something is broken on that Ruger or the barrel is leaded (possible with soft bullets and fast firing), the mechanical accuracy of the MKII should allow groups of about an inch or two at 50 feet.

Last edited:
How fast are we talking? 27 rounds in under 4 seconds fast, or 15 rounds in 30 seconds fast?

I can do 15 rounds in about 20 seconds and maintain reasonable accuracy(3"-4" at 15 yards). This cadence is about one shot per breath. Going any faster and my groups start to open up. Taking 2-3 seconds between shots and I can go from a 3 inch group at 15 yards down to a 1.5" group at 15 yards(with the right gun and ammo combination).

Never really timed it.

The instant the sights lined up from shot recovery, I pull the trigger. I gonna guess each shot was 1/2 to 3/4 of a second apart.

How fast are we talking? 27 rounds in under 4 seconds fast, or 15 rounds in 30 seconds fast?

I can do 15 rounds in about 20 seconds and maintain reasonable accuracy(3"-4" at 15 yards). This cadence is about one shot per breath. Going any faster and my groups start to open up. Taking 2-3 seconds between shots and I can go from a 3 inch group at 15 yards down to a 1.5" group at 15 yards(with the right gun and ammo combination).
I seen something in your reply that caught my eye.

Shot per breathe.

I have not really paid attention to that.

Yep, I'm still new and much to learn. Thanks, always looking for improved ways.

Take a breath release it half way then hold your breat and fire the shoth. That's the basic rule.
Doesn't apply to rapid shooting though.

As soon as the shot is fired, the recovery shot instantly follows.
Not sure of my terminology. Fast or speed shooting I'm way better.

Thoughts?
It sounds to me like when you are rapid fire shooting, your follow through and sight alignment is more consistent.

Perhaps when you are shooting slow fire, you are looking over your sights to see where you hit rather than 'gluing' your focus to the front sight?

Back