Shot my woman's gun . . .

Prof Young

As previously posted I got Jan an engagement ring and gun for Christmas. The gun was a Ruger Max 9, but I was not happy with the trigger so I switched her a Sig 365 chambered in 380. Her FOID card just arrived so it was it time to break it (the gun) in. Put 130 rounds down range that was a mix of SD ammo and some target loads.

It ran well with no glitches. At 7 yards, when I concentrated, I could get two inch groups. It came with two magazines and a magazine assist loader thing (What do you call those anyway?) These mags had a flange that runs up the back wall, as if they had used 9mm mags and needed to push the cartridges forward in the mag to make them feed right. The bullets tended to hang up for a split second on that flange with made loading the mags a touch touchy. It got better as I used the mags more. Once I teach her to shoot I think it will serve her well. Concealed carry class to come.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Life is good.
Prof Young

I purchased my wife a charter arms 32 H & R mag, loaded up some light loads, and shot about half a box. It shot well, with no concernable recoil. She has never shot a gun, and wanted as light load as possible for learning. Loaded 100 grain lead bullet with 1.8 grains of bullseye powder. It shot great. I think she will enjoy shooting it,.
Alabama has gone to no conceal carry permit now, and as things are getting bad all over wanted her to be able to defend herself

I have and love my 365 in 9mm. Only gripe is the price of the magazines.

I had a ruger LC9-s, as I understand it they widened it to make the max 9. I loved the trigger. Granted it was a longer pull and a long reset, but the trigger was light and crisp.

But its about what works for her. There are fortunately lots of good options these days.

I hope it works well for her. Sounds like you have two good possible options for her to try out (the SIG and the Ruger), and if neither really works for her, they can be good trade fodder for what does work for her. Then again, if the SIG doesn't work for her, sounds like you like it and you may have a good backup carry gun.

I love my SIG P365 (mines 9mm). I like it enough that I definitely want a 2nd gun of the type. It would definitely be a P365, but the prices plus rebate on the S&W Shield Plus are good enough right now, I may give one a try and have both the SIG and S&W version. For me, 9mm works well (with +P it can be a bit snappy, but otherwise it is actually pretty comfortable to shoot and gives me pretty quick follow up shots). It is my favorite carry gun. For a new shooter, or someone who is recoil adverse, the P365 in .380 could be a great choice.

the reason I went with the revolver is, no slide to work. She does not have a lot of strength in her hands, and the older we get, the harder it is......

the reason I went with the revolver is, no slide to work. She does not have a lot of strength in her hands, and the older we get, the harder it is......
If you can, get her to check out some of the newer alternatives like the S&W 380EZ and Equalizer or Ruger Security 380. The slides require less strength than the triggers on any DA revolver I own, and I own a bunch of them.

S&W 380EZ slide: four pounds thirteen ounces.
Ruger Security 380: five pounds ten ounces.
Ruger LCP II 22lr: four pounds nine and a half ounces.

Both my daughters shoot, and I've recommended revolvers to them as well. A revolver can be shot from within a purse if needed without the worry of a slide getting hung up on anything and jamming.
Of course, neither took my advice and carry 9mm's instead.

Must be nice to have a woman you can trust to let them have a gun... mine's kinda nutzo so I keep mine pea shooters locked up or hidden (she thinks their all locked up which is how I planned it).

Back