Shot my SKS this evening

Rome

Hey there, I got to shoot 200 rounds through my new SKS this evening and loved every minute of it. I've been reading as much as I can about this rifle and just about everything everyone said is true. It is a stable, accurate, reliable rifle and it's fun to shoot. It only took me about 20 rounds to sight it in at 50 yards. Then I went to 100 yards and shot in four different positions including seated using a stand. Standing with this rifle is easy. The only criticism I have is the trigger travel is long. It works just fine and doesn't rub or hang up at all. It is just a long pull and if it were shorter, it would be perfect. Other than that, I'm really pleased with my new baby and look forward to the next meet next week.

I also got to shoot an M1 from the DMP and loved it too. My app will be in the mail asap.

Rome

Congrats on the SKS, i really like mine.

i am thinking about he M1 garand my self, i had better forget about it, i don't have the money any way.

happy shooting!

------------------
454Casull when it absolutely Has to be destroyed.

smoney, be aware the price of the M1 Garand through the CMP program goes up to $500 in June...so if you were thinking about it, you might want to get your paperwork in before then...

Rome, what make and model is it???

I have a NORINCO MC-5D I picked up for treaching my firearms class. It takes the abuse from everyone. I really like the 5rd detachable mag. (AK configuration). Only three things I'd change, 1/ the action doesn't lock open 2/ the sights a atrochous (I can't get the front sight over enough or high enough for a zero) and 3/ since it is made in China the wooden stock and full rubber recoil butt pad is made for Hans, Fritz or Arnie. (that will be cured by cutting 1-2 inches off and replacing the stock)

Really not a bad piece for under $100

------------------
Be Safe, Be Trained

Life is tough...it's alot tougher if you don't know how to shoot.

Tackleberry
I have a Norino model 56 built in 1980. (I know this because I was able to track the serial number). All the numbers match on this piece and someone has taken care of it. I bought it used, complete with a number of mags, bayonet, and I believe, a trigger overhaul for around $250. The trigger wasn't modified, however, but just cleaned up so it works as intended: no grittyness: nice and smooth but long.
As for the sights, I put a set of Williams WSKS aperature sights on it (around $20) and was able to set to zero in short order. There are two screws on it. One for elevation and one for left/right. So, you can easily compensate.
As for the action not locking open, that is the result of a piece missing on the clip. On the back of the follower, there should be a small bump about 1/8" diameter and high. Like the head of a small screw. When the last round is fired, this small bump forces a small spring loaded metal tab, found in the receiver, up to hold the action open. I have two 10 round clips which did the same thing. I modified them with a little work so they do hold the action open. However, I've abandoned the other clips that came with this rifle in favor of the fixed magazine for two reasons. First, I can load 10 round with stripper clips as fast as you can change a the detachable mags and second, I hold my rifle in a shooting stance which requires that I palm the bottom of the fixed magazine area. After-market mags are too long or sharp. So, consider going back to the original magazine and buy some stripper clips. As for the length I agree that the original stock is too short and the "soft rubber" butt extension is too long. I, too, cut it on my bandsaw so that it is about 1 1/4" long which is perfect for my arm length. I don't want to change stocks and would prefer to keep the original wood although I refinished it (I'm a cabinetmaker). If you need more info about altering the clips, let me know. I can email you photos of my clips modified clips if you like.

One more thing. I read many places about the barrel getting hot after rapid fire. Every single rifle at the range had the same experience. I don't know why this becomes such an issue. Even after five round in three minutes, the barrel was pretty warm. After 1 1/2 hours, the barrel was down right hot. Big deal, so was the M1, AK47, and the Bushmaster. As long as it isn't glowing cherry red, I figure I'm ok.

Rome

[This message has been edited by Rome (edited April 26, 2000).]

Yah, I've been looking at the Williams Sight. I like the aperature. My SKS is a commercial model, it is designed to use the AK mags. not the fixed ones. Thus there would have to be a holding opening device. Well for all that I have complained about It's not all that bad of a piece. $89.00 plus tax and then $17.00 for a second five round mag. (Canadian Law restricts semi auto rifle centre fire mags. to 5rds.)

As far as the barrel heating up, it might not create a feeding problem, but I guarentee that it will persent an accuracy problem. If you dare, I dought you can do it with a semi with a fixed mag., there is a term "cook-off". It happens with belt fed machine guns. During rapid fire the barrel and chamber heats to the point that when you stop firing the round sitting in the chamber heats to the point of detinating the round.

But really, the reason the barrel heats so much is there is "little" material. Thus it doesn't take long for the whole thing to heat up.

------------------
Be Safe, Be Trained

Life is tough...it's alot tougher if you don't know how to shoot.

Back