Shot my new Steyr M40 today.

mept

Thanks to your forum I took my 1xxx no. to the closest range I could find after having it inspected, with a strip of electrical tape placed behind the ejection port it prevented the brass strikes I new would happen. I just had to shot it before sending it off to be tapered. Any owners send their gun direct to GSIvia UPS??, through the dealer they purchased from??, only the slide???, Did you send it COD with the manufacturer picking up the tab??? Any help would be appreciated.
HOW DID IT SHOOT: Felt great, easy sites, mild recoil. I have medium sized but thick hands and the gun felt fine for most shots but it was easy to pull a few shots off target at times. I think this was from acouple reasons: first, the range required all targets ran to the back of the range which is 50ft and I was shooting holes in 8x10 target circles. second, at that range Ifelt the new sites were more difficult to align and maintain aim when taking my time due to the distance. I always seem to shoot best when I rip of rounds more instinctively and quicker such as double taps. I only shot 50 rounds but my last couplemags of 6 rounds each were my best groups and the last 6 were doubletaps. I can not wait until I can try this out on10or 25 foot distances. Thanks forum for helping me choose an excellant handgun.

Glad you like the gun, I sent my whole gun in by UPS (cost $30, ridiculous)- I know gun dealers can ship Fedex 2day air (but don't know if that applies to non FFL holders).
Send your whole gun in, because they will test fire it with 2 types of ammo (Federal and Remington), make sure its working fine. It looks like they reblued the slide, but it still has a few brass marks (strange)- because all the slide writing is much more detailed than it was before (can see it perfectly now, where before it was kind of faded)- just looks nicer now, than when I sent it in.

mept,

Per GSI instructions, I sent the whole case with both mags.

Oh, I should start with a simple fact you don't have to involve an FFL holder to ship your firearm to a manufacturer of that particular weapon because such shipment is considered "for purposes implied in warranty" and thus, doesn't fall under the rule that excludes us mortals from doing so. Now, had it been a transfer, then an FFL would have to do it.

It actually raises an interesting issue. How many guns are actually shipped between individuals under false pretenses that one of them is a company rather that a person? A clerk at FedEx didn't even asked me if GSI was the real distributor of Steyr weapons in US and not some sort of a kitchen table-operated business that belongs to some friend of mine in Alabama. Neither special forms have been filled out nor does it say on my copy of the receipt that it's a firearm I'm shipping. Makes you think, doesn't it?...

Anyway, I used FedEx Priority Overnight because any other way of sending a firearm was available only to FFL holders (although I think it would still have to be air-shipped, an overnight shipment wouldn't be required).

[This message has been edited by Emin (edited January 12, 2000).]

Seems to me I've posted twice...

[This message has been edited by Emin (edited January 12, 2000).]

Interesting that you taped the back of the slide. All my many dings were in front of the ejector port :) When GSI returned it, they had reblackened it.

Back