Shot my first round of regulation trap today!

Kframe

I haven't been coming around here, or any forum, much lately as I have a 3 year old.
So I haven't been out shooting much in the last few years, but now that he's older and in preschool and that sort of stuff I'm dusting off my shootin' irons and reloading stuff and getting back into it.

In the past I've mainly been a rifle and pistol shooter, in fact I didn't even have a shotgun until 4 years ago. Well, I've had a 19" single shot 16ga forever, but it's crap and almost doesn't count.

Earlier this summer Pheasant's Forever was hosting women/family fun days out at the Morristown gun club behind Ahlman's and if you brought a woman or a youth they could shoot a free round of trap, gun and ammo provided, and the man could shoot free as well if he brought a woman or youth.
I'd never shot at a flying/moving target before, except for the few times I've grouse or pheasant hunted.

It was a blast! Instantly hooked!
Now, that wasn't a regulation shoot. The thrower was 5 feet in front of the shooter and the RO stood behind the shooter with the trigger for the electric thrower. Birds were breaking at 15-20 yards.

But today I went out to the same range when they were set up and having a real trap day, clays going out from the houses and shooters on the 5 position line.
The wind was 5-15 and coming in from straight away, so the birds were visibly bouncing on the gusts.
I managed 13 out of 25.

I was also shooting a new gun that I'm also not yet familiar with, as far as where it points for me, etc. Don't laugh but it's a Turkish-import ATI Cavalry O/U 12ga. I don't pretend it's in the same class as a Red Label or Citori, but since nobody offered to buy me one, I got what I can afford.
Before today I just shot five rounds at cardboard the day I got it. So it's only got 30 rounds through it total now.

So far I really like the gun; it's light, and at least in my basement when I shoulder it up it points very well automatically.

Back to trap shooting, I don't know if I'm supposed to lead the clay, or trail it and swing through, or what. I am keeping both eyes open and watching the bird, not the bead. Any tips would be welcomed!

Anyway, it was really fun and I'm definitely going back again!!!
:)

IMG_20140921_153707_zpsg5fmq695.jpg

The problem with trap is that it's too easy to deal with it as if it was a rifle.Aiming rather than an instinctive shooting.
I think far better is clays. Sporting clays was developed for training and practice for the real thing - birds ,rabbits etc in all types of shooting . When I started I had some individual coaching .Most said 'that's too expensive ' but it really shortens the learning curve and eliminates much of the bad habits you can get.
I find swing through for me is much better but like other types of shooting , try different methods and pick what does best for you !! Have fun.

Cool, thanks!
As I get into it I'm sure I'll hear more about trap doubles, skeet and SC.

This is way different than slow and deliberate long range paper punching!

that's a pretyy gun, i would love to have one. my first ever ar is an ATI and it's been amazing. how much did it run you?

clays are fun, i haven't done it but 4-5 times, but always enjoy it. i figure i will get into it when i get bored with my rifles to re-invigorate the sport. 13 outta 25 doesnt seem like a bad run for a first time with a gun. get some range time with the shotgun and see how your barrels print one from the other, you may have a big difference in point of aim between the barrels. did you notice that you were missing more from one barrel over the other? i can help with leading and all the technicals, but i would think practice, practice practice and you'll answer it yourself.

congrats on a new gun with a 3 y/o, how'd you pull that off?

Not bad. Especially with a unfamiliar gun. I too prefer clays. I shoot at Oceana Skeet range in Va Beach and always try to get on the wobble stage. To me it always added the challenge of not knowing where the target is coming from. Enjoy, its kinda like golf for gun guys/gals lol.

Dreaming', thank you!

mxsailor, hah, like golf for gun guys, I love it!

skizzums, I shot the round with only the top barrel yesterday.
I have not yet patterned the gun, but that's on the short list.
I also was just shooting the choke that came in it, I think it's IM over IC.
It came with 3 more chokes, so over time I'll pattern all of them and start playing around with that.

The ATI o/u retails in the fives, cost is a little under 400. I used to work full-time at Ahlman's (15 years ago) and ever since I still help them out if somebody is on vacation or when they're having a big shindig and need all available bodies. I generally don't take cash for that, just keep track of the total and when I get enough then I take my pay home in iron and wood, like this ATI, usually at dealer cost. ;)

Keeps my wife happy since it doesn't impact the family budget, and I get a new gun every once in awhile at a smokin' deal. :)

Nice deal you got on that. The thing about trap is that you only shoot one barrel, unless you shoot doubles which is little done. You might find less problems with felt recoil if you shoot the bottom barrel. Your score for a first game is excellent. My first was a 3 - shot with a new 18 inch open cylinder pump right out of the box and nary a clue what to do.

Get out to clubs in your area.....and try Trap, and Skeet, Sporting Clays and 5 Stand if they're available..... / It's all fun....
-------------------------
Gun Digest and others have some good basic books on Trap shooting...stance, gun mount, gun hold point for each of the 5 stations..../ they're about $ 20 and I see them all over ( at gun shows, etc )....so I'd start there...

or you might find a book that discusses all of the clay target games...

Trap is fun and I don't shot much of it but if you can find someone to go shoot some sporting clays with you it's well worth it. The local gun club Boxhorn in Muskego, Wisconsin has sporting clays and I tried it for the first time and I was hooked. There were some birds that made you feel dumb because they flew out of no where and were gone in a flash but others shot in the direction of the shooter and almost landed at your feet.

It was very much like pheasant hunting. It's worth a shot.

BigJimP said:
Gun Digest and others have some good basic books on Trap shooting...stance, gun mount, gun hold point for each of the 5 stations..../ they're about $ 20 and I see them all over ( at gun shows, etc )....so I'd start there...

or you might find a book that discusses all of the clay target games...

That's a great suggestion, thanks!

Dreaming100Straight said:
Nice deal you got on that. The thing about trap is that you only shoot one barrel, unless you shoot doubles which is little done. You might find less problems with felt recoil if you shoot the bottom barrel. Your score for a first game is excellent. My first was a 3 - shot with a new 18 inch open cylinder pump right out of the box and nary a clue what to do.

Thanks!
(One of the perks of having a friendly association with my LGS. One time I picked up a mint S&W M1917 .45ACP for $400)

I think that right now the gun has IM in the top (3 dashes) and IC in the bottom (5 dashes) so that's why I shot the top, but I'm definitely looking forward to experimenting with this new shotgun.

Trap

16 Yard American Trap is an addictive sport. Your first round score was way higher than mine....which was a one or a two. After that round, a kind soul said to me " you are shooting that gun like a rifle." Next round was a six. The one after that was a thirteen.
I was using an old Ithaca 37.
Trap is great fun. There is a synergy that develops on a Trap line with five shooters in the game that is very difficult to describe - it is like being part of a well-oiled machine.

darkgael, I felt that synergy you mentioned.
I went with a friend, and the third guy was a stranger that obviously knew his way around the trap line. (He shot a 20/25).

Within the first five shots from the group I could tell this was going to be much faster paced than I thought.
At the Pheasants Forever shoot the shots were taken slowly, often with an instructor offering tips after each shot.

I bet the regulation round with us three took less than 15 minutes, but I couldn't tell because it felt like a time warp.
It was awesome!!
:D

Back