Shot First IDPA match

Roland Thunder

I have been shooting bowling pin matches for about 2 years and have gotten pretty good at it. Last weekend I went with a friend to shoot my first IDPA match. Needless to say, it was an embarrasing performance. I'm trying to decide whether to continue with IDPA or just stick to bowling pin matches.

I think shooting bowling pin matches is more fun but I can see where IDPA is probably more useful.

Why was it embarassing?
1. Do what you enjoy. Having said that:
2. I'd try it one more time. Now that some of the uncertainty has worn off you may find you enjoy it. If not stick with who brung you and stay with bowling pin matches. Nothing wrong with that!

FYI - Here I'll help you share you embarassment - whats a bowling pin match?

Congrats to you for giving something new a try!! I'm sure it wasn't as embarrassing as you think. You have to factor in a bit of a learning curve as well to how things are run vs what you are used too.
I would definitely give it another shot (pardon the pun) if you get the opportunity and see how it goes a second time.
If you find you don't enjoy it then, stick with your bowling pin matches. Definitely whatever you enjoy! (And I confess as well, I don't know of bowling pin matches either).

You aren't the first person to feel embarassed after their first match. If it was fun stick with it because you will improve. No reason to pick one game over the other. Enjoy!

Yeah, what everyone else says, it was your first match and try it again! Everyone is a beginner at one time. Just be safe and keep coming back, and soon you can help out the people who are there for the first time.

I've been shooting USPSA and IDPA for fifteen years, and have been involved in new-shooter instruction, and over the years, I'd say the most common reason why people don't continue in the sport is because they can't stand to do something at which they are not good!
I've never seen anyone who was an especially good competition shooter right out of the box, but you'll never get any better if you stop now.
My introduction to competition shooting was also via bowling pins, and while the man-to-man aspect was exhilarating, as a former basketball player, I thought shooting pins was like shooting freethrows compared to actually playing basketball; pins is practicing freethrows to IDPA's full-court game.

I also have shot Bowling pin matches and have been thinking about doing IDPA. Sadly, with work, family and a trap league that I am starting this week I am not able to fit them into my schedule. Most are in the evenings starting when I am getting off work or by the time I drive to the meet it would be done. :(

For me, It'll have to wait.

RickB said:
I've never seen anyone who was an especially good competition shooter right out of the box, but you'll never get any better if you stop now.

+1

All of us, even the top guys, have been there when we started, so no one else saw your performance as embarrassing. New shooters do well when they listen, have fun, shoot within their control, help paste targets and, most importantly, are safe.

If you decide to stick with it, I can tell you that you'll likely improve nicely as you learn the game. A couple of important "tricks", though: Stay positive about yourself, be patient with yourself and leave your ego in the car. Without these, even the best gear and instruction won't take you to your potential, no matter your endeavor.

Good luck!

Back