Shot a suppressor for the first time...

kealil

..And I'm hooked!

I recently finished putting together my new 300BLK build and took it to the range to test function and sight it in. The shooter in the next line was shooting his 308 suppressed. We got to chatting and we ended up shooting each other's rifles. He even put his suppressor on my 300BLK and let me try it. So much fun and a much better experience.

I want to get a suppressor for my 300BLK. I've done some research and undertstand the process of getting a suppressor ( The videos on Youtube from Military Arms Channel were a great help) but I'm having trouble deciding on which one to go with. I see that Huntertown Arms has several models that are very affordable but I've seen some mixed reviews in recent years about them. I wouldn't mind paying more for one from a more established company but I want one that is user servicable. Most of the other 308 suppressors I've found are locked tight and need to be sent to the manufacturer to clean. I've even looked into making one myself. I'm pretty good with metal(welding, cutting, soldering, etc) but I'm having a hard time finding decent specifications that would let me know best practices for this.

So I need help. Are Huntertown Arms Suppressors good for the money? If they are, are there any negatives to them in general? Outside of Huntertown, what are some other 308 suppressors that are user servicable(or easily cleaned)?

Any other suggestions that come to mind for a new suppressor owner would also be appreciated!

Thank you all for any help given.

You don't want a rifle silencer that can be taken apart; that makes them weaker and heavier. You don't need to clean a rifle silencer because full-power loads will clean it out for you. A thin layer of carbon will remain, but that actually helps quiet it down a little and it helps protect the baffles.

A few companies make user-serviceable rifle cans because there is a demand for them, but that demand is almost entirely misplaced. I would never buy a user-serviceable rifle can.

Right now the two best all-around rifle cans on the market (in my opinion) are made by SilencerCo. Get the Saker 7.62 if you want maximum durability, and get the Omega if you want it to be a little quieter and noticable lighter. If you're planning on using it mostly on 300 Blackout get the Omega; the Saker is over-engineered for 300 Blackout.

Theo'

Do you know if 9mm carbine silencers run that clean as well?

IF I were to invest in a silencer, it would be a dual use model for the 9mm as well as the .300 Blackout (both in the 10" barrel length).

I have a friend who uses an Octane 9 on both and it seems to work well.

Thanks

9x19 said:
Do you know if 9mm carbine silencers run that clean as well?
No, they don't. Pistol rounds are a lot less powerful than rifle rounds and they don't produce the muzzle blast required to keep carbon from building up. And out of a 9mm carbine there will be even less muzzle blast (though there will also probably be a little less carbon build-up).

I take apart and clean my Octane 9 every once in a while because the carbon starts to build up over time, though often I can get away with just cleaning the piston assembly and cleaning the baffles less often. But I've never once needed to clean the inside of my AAC SDN-6, it only needs a brush on the mounting system every once in a while, and that's mostly to keep it lubed so it doesn't get carbon-locked to the rifle.

The Octane 9 works great on 300 Blackout subs, but it's not rated for 300 Blackout supers. So with a normal 30-caliber silencer you can just shoot supersonic 300 Blackout or another rifle caliber through it to help clean out the carbon build-up from the 300 Blackout subs, but you can't do that on the Octane.

If you want a 9mm silencer that can handle 300 Blackout supers then you need the Liberty Mystic X. It's a little long and heavy for a dedicated 9mm can in my opinion, but if that doesn't bother you then it's a great all-around choice.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response. It makes sense that the user serviceable cans are not as strong. Another factor is cost. I have been given a 1000.00 dollar budget including the tax stamp for this addition. So pretty much anything from SilencerCO is off the table universally.

What other options are out there that would be recommended in that price range. I saw some from YHM that looked decent but they were also on the top end of the price range. I understand that this suppressor will basically be an investment since selling it would not be easy but I have to work within the limitations given to me.

Also, beyond the listed issues with user serviceable cans, Are huntertown arms suppressors good quality? Do they have any glaring problems? They seem to be very fairly priced with a lifetime warranty.

Thanks again!

for 300BO and 9mm Id go with the Liberty Mystic. Its likely in your budget (at least close to it and its rated for both rounds sub and supersonic.

The one I shot I liked so much I ordered one for my self. They are user serviceable as well.

kealil said:
Another factor is cost. I have been given a 1000.00 dollar budget including the tax stamp for this addition. So pretty much anything from SilencerCO is off the table universally.
I can completely understand the need to budget (money is really tight in my household), but I don't think you should limit yourself here. A silencer isn't like a regular firearm; it takes a lot longer to get and it's virtually impossible to sell it unless you're willing go through the trouble to find a buyer and then take a huge loss. If this is going to be your only rifle can, I highly recommend saving a little more so you can get the can you really want instead of settling on something cheaper. For only a few hundred dollars more than your current budget, you can get one of the best rifle silencers ever made that will suppress anything from 300 Win Mag on down and last your lifetime (unless you shoot like crazy; and if you can afford the amount of ammo needed to shoot out a high-quality rifle silencer, then you can afford a new silencer). That's worth saving up for in my opinion.

kealil said:
Also, beyond the listed issues with user serviceable cans, Are huntertown arms suppressors good quality? Do they have any glaring problems? They seem to be very fairly priced with a lifetime warranty.
I have no personal experience with Huntertown Arms, but the general concensus seems to be that they're too heavy and very loud. This appears to be a combination of their inefficient baffle design and the fact that it's a user-serviceable can. I've seen other companies advertise that they'll switch out the baffles on Huntertown silencers so they won't be so loud, so that doesn't say much for their baffle design.

I just looked up "Huntertown" on SilencerTalk.com and this is the first post I found: "I've got a Huntertown 7.62 Kestrel and it was the biggest dissapointment ever. I'm thinking of re-purposing it as a lawnmower muffler, but even then it might be too loud. What a waste of money."

Last edited:
Okay, thank you. I will see if I convince my better half to let me up the budget or do something to supply the extra funds.

To go back to the user serviceable options. I thought I had mentioned the real reason for it in my first post but looking back I didn't mention it at all. I shoot almost 100% cast bullets out of my rifles. They are powder coated so leading doesn't really exist but this may not always be case. Since leading MAY occur at some point, user serviceable would be pretty much mandatory as far as I know. Am I on the wrong track?

So assuming my logic is sound, what user serviceable cans are of higher quality and still not montrerously expensive? Also, it will be 300blk super sonics.

Thanks again

Gemtech GMT300BLK is a monocore user serviceable can. Fairly light and short. Rated sub's or supers. Direct thread

Ive got one on a form 3 heading my way. Its a nice can

kealil said:
I thought I had mentioned the real reason for it in my first post but looking back I didn't mention it at all. I shoot almost 100% cast bullets out of my rifles. They are powder coated so leading doesn't really exist but this may not always be case. Since leading MAY occur at some point, user serviceable would be pretty much mandatory as far as I know. Am I on the wrong track?
Ah, OK, that makes sense now; most people shoot jacketed bullets out of centerfire rifles so that didn't even occur to me.

Yeah, even with powder coating you'll probably get a noticable amount of leading. And cleaning the lead out with full-power rifle rounds often doesn't work, and if it does work then you have pieces of lead flying around inside the can, and that's not a good thing.

So you do actually need a user-serviceable can. If you're only shooting 300 Blackout then you don't really need a full-power rifle can. So the Liberty Mystic X or, like Sharkbite recommended, the Gemtech GMT300BLK are great choices. And they're both user-servicable.

Thanks again,

300 blackout it the primary one right now but I will be shooting 556 and eventually 308(this one is somewhere in the next 5 years). That was actually the reason I was so attracted to the huntertown arms kestrels and chameleons. They had a fair price and covered all my bases.

I have been given a green light to increase my price but I would have sacrifice something else to get it. So my price point is fluid but the lower the better. thank you again.

I agree, a can is not something to get cheap with. I'm glad your boss let you work the budget a little. I'm in a similar situation as yourself and will watch with interest as things develop.

Someone mentioned Liberty Suppressors.

Check out their Mystic X.

It was designed for multiple hosts including 300blk, 5.56/.223 and .308(subsonic only).

Here is a link:

http://libertycans.net/mystic-x/

I have one coming in as a shop demo any day now. I will report back once we play with it a bit and we will post a review on our youtube channel.

The only cheap suppressors that I have seen get good reviews are Thompson Machine. Several 9mm/300BLK(sub) in the 400$ range. They are user servicable and are longer and heavier than the more expensive ones. But you can find lots of threads where people appluade their suppression. They have 7.62 rifle if you really need to run super 300's with I silencer (i wouldn't), but then you lose your option for 9mm and of course spend a couple hundred more bucks or so. Unfortunately, none of their pistol cans are rated for 300 supers, but are all under 500 bucks and can even find under 350$ on sale sometimes. Worth looking into, I am not vouching for them and obviously you should research reviews heavily.

Back