Shot a 45-70 got the bug

ltc444

Shot a Marlin trapper in 45-70 on labor day. Since i am getting more traditional in my dotage I am getting the bug for a traditional rifle in that caliber.

Any suggestions on a lever action in that caliber with a long Octagonal barrel and able to accept a tang site.

If you could include a source i would appreciate it.

Lever action REPEATER or SINGLE SHOT ? My Browning 1885 [now Winchester I think] is great .Beautifully made by Miroku there were different versions some target type meant for tang sights.You rarely will need more than one shot !:D

Do not really care on single shot or repeater.

I have all ways been enamored with the Tom Horn Winchester as portrayed by Steve McQueen in the movie of the same name.

The sharps rifle is also of interest as are the Browning designs.

Mostly I'm looking for a shooter which fits my budget.

lever action repeaters

The Marlin 1895 Cowboy - Gallery of Guns

Puma Rifles M-86 - Gallery of Guns

Due to tang safety , I 'm not sure about Winchester/ Miroku 1886 accepting tang site !

Currently only have a Marlin 1895 CB ( 26 inch, octo barrel), sweet rifle and the .45-70 can be loaded as mild or wild as you like in a modern rifle.
I'm very fond of tanq sights but NOT in a light levergun like the Marlin. Might be OK with light loads, just too close to my eye for comfort with heavy hunting loads. YMMV as always.
Good luck in your search and have fun!
I've always admired the "Quigley" type Sharps but I've got a LOT of saving to do first.

I have to agree that I prefer my receiver mounted peep sight better for hunting situations on my 1886 extra light 45-70 !

I do have a tang sight mounted on a 1895 cowboy but use a different grip technique so the sight doesn't bite my hand....it mostly gets fed hand loads using cast bullets on steel targets !

Marbles does make a tang sight that is specifically made to work with the modern Winchester 1886 made by Miruko that has the tang safety....it slipped my mind ! Possibly Lyman or others do as well ,not sure!

If you are ok with a lever action falling block such as the Browning High Wall then let me recommend that you look at a Uberti 1885 High Wall. The Uberti is almost a exact copy of the original unlike the modern Browning and Winchester rifles. The only siginificant difference in appearance between the Uberti and the new Browning and Winchesters is that the Uberti hammer goes to half cock on closing the action whereas they go to full cock as did the originals. The internals of the Uberti are as the originals but the new Brownings and Winchesters are totally new design. If you are looking for tang sights then look at the Pedersoli line as they are good values. The "Soule Sight" set is their best (mid range model) and is comparable to sets costing 2 and 3 times the price. The price tag for this will be about $1200 +/- depending on the source. You might want to look at BUFFALO ARMS website as they specialize in period firearms and equipment.

I have 2 Uberti high walls and they are my favorite rifles. They are well made and as accurate as any others on the market.

You might also look at the Trapdoor rifles and carbines Uberti has. Don't know if you can put a tang sight on one but replace the sight with a Buffington rear sight fully adjustable with both peep or notch rear.

What about the H&R Buffalo Classic? Single shot break action rifle, good sights, very popular and VEEERY inexpensive. A lot of bang for the buck.

10587319_2.jpg

Sharps are great too but they're expensive, you are not going to get a decent one for under 1 grand.-

There are Italian reproduction sharps rifles out there to be had that are under a grand. They are quite good and very accurate. Had they been producing them back when I got into shooting 45-70's I might never have bought a Montana rifle. In my opinion made in the USA is still the best and if you are like me you have to save awhile to get one. I sure do like mine and it sure do shoot good!:D

In leaver action repeaters I believe Marlin is probably the least expensive. I have seen a few used ones (not very often) in the $500 range.

Last edited:
Back