shortest barrel on .44 mag?

speed

Can anyone tell me the shortest barrel on quality production model .44 mag?

Who makes it?...have you ever shot it?...if so,how tough was the recoil to control with accuracy?

Please give your opinion on the practicallity of "snub nose .44" if any.

thanks

Three inchers quite manageable with moderate loads, they get pretty violent with stout loads. Smith Lew Horton 3" round butt Model 29.

I like four inchers for general all round use.....4" Model 29-3.

Sam, little feller with big guns.

44 magnum with a 2-5/8" barrel? What in the world for? Different strokes, I guess. That just looks like it would be painful to shoot with anything even approaching a warm load. Lets get really crazy and have SW make that same gun in the Scandium series...complete with electronic locator to find it after you fired it!

WS2...NO:)

I did hear a rumor that Glock was going to do some carry revolvers. Assorted popular cartridges up to and including .44mag. Will be all carbon fiber/polycarbonate construction. 9 ounces unloaded. Can't waite long enough.

Sam

I own four 629s

V-Comp 5 inch
Trail boss 3 inch with two ports
Classic Carry un fluted cylinder full under lug 3 inch
Mountain Gun

All my guns have Hogue Monogrip

For me the Mountain gun has a very noticeable increase in recoil compared to the 3” guns. The Trail Boss has more muzzle flash then the other four guns. I do not notice any difference between the Classic carry and the Trail Boss with recoil. I shot both 3” guns about the same 6” group at 15 yards. I carry the Classic or the Trail Boss in a Galco silhouette or a large fanny pack that I modified with an Uncle Mikes IWB holster and HKS speed loader carry.

Any chrono data on those 3" guns? I'm curious how much velocity is lost compared to the factory 7.5" barrel advertisements.

I was going to try 3" for my 44mag camp gun but got 4" because my state won't let you hunt with a barrel shorter than 4". I believe several states have the same law. I saw a couple 3" 44mags in Gun List, latest issue.

3 Inch S&W 629

I have the V-Comp version and I love it. For comparison,240 SWC over 21.5 gr. AA#9:
3 inch V-Comp-1250 fps, SD-35
4 inch 629 Mtn.Gun-1220, SD-24( larger brrl/cly.gap )
7 1/2 in. 629 M.Classic 1360 SD-40

Very accurate load. The short 3" had about the same recoil as the Magna Classic do to it's comp. The Mtn Gun had difficulty coming back on target as it was jumping around pretty good. If you plan on shooting heavy loads I advise to get a heavy gun OR a 5 inch V-Comp 629. Hope this helps....dewey.....:cool:

Back