Shortening the Grip on a Kahr P9 to that of an MK9....Your Thoughts?

Therapydude

On a recent TFL thread, I found a link to a shop in California that will shorten the grip height of a Kahr P9 to that of an MK9. I like the Glock 26, but it seems a bit chunky for CC. The P9, with shortened grip, would be smaller in height, length, and width compared to the G26. I only see two downsides to the Kahr: 1. decreased magazine capacity compared to the Glock (6 vs 10 rounds) and 2. Extra cost to have the Kahr's grip shortened. What are your thoughts? Any downsides to having the grip shortened (other than cost and less surface area for gripping)? Should I just buy an MK9 or maybe wait (and hope) that an MP9 comes out soon? I would appreciate your suggestions.

If you decide to do it, don't pay to have it done. I can't believe what they want for the P9 package. I think you could just hack it off with a hacksaw and use some sandpaper to smooth and finish is yourself in 2 hours tops. If you took your time I doubt you'd have any problems. I'm within a hair of doing it myself to mine but I just sent the slide off to have night sights installed.

I think a shortened P9 would make a tolerable front pants pocket 9mm with a 7 round cap total. Front pants pocket means you can wear it anywhere they don't frisk you with a metal detector.

shiro

If I were you I'd wait. I have heard several people say that they have heard from Kahr that the MP-9 will be out soon. You might email Kahr and ask to make sure.

If you decide to make it a "do it yourself" type project- I would suggest going to machine shop and have them cut it rather than using a hacksaw. That's an expensive peice of metal you are playing with. One crooked cut and you will regret it the rest of the time you own the pistol.

Another consideration is that the K9 is 4.5inches in height vs 4 inches for the MK9. In addition to cutting off 1/2 inch, you would have to drill and tap a new hole for the lower grip screw and install a set of grips for the MK9.

One of the downsides of a shorter grip is that it will be a bit harder to hang on to when firing. The G26 is wider, allowing a slightly more secure hold. The MK9 works well because it is not muzzle heavy, which your conversion will definitely be. You are looking a .7 inches longer than the MK9. That is based on an OAL of 5.3" for the Mk9 vs 6.0" for the K9.

I haven't seen the post on the shop that does the work for you, so I have no idea how much it costs ( I would guess about $150-$200 depending upon if the weapon needs to be refinished + MK9 Mags+ Grips). Unless you plan on keeping this weapon for a long time, or don't mind losing the cost of having the grip shortened in resale value, I would just get the MK9 or wait until the model you want comes out.

Good Shooting
RED

If I can get my scanner working, I'll post the card I got from "Dave", the production manager at Kahr. His words, hand written in pen, were something along the lines of "I can assure you that the MP9 is in the works" or something like that...

For $400 bucks to hack your existing P9, and only get HALF the benefit (no change in slide length) I'd wait it out... Buy yourself something cheaper to tide you over, like a Kel-Tec.

For GOSH SAKES MAN... DON'T DO IT!

P.S. Redleg, the P9 is polymer, not Metal. But good suggestion though. I think I'd just BUY an MK9 if I wanted a shorter K9 ;)

I hacked a Glock 22 down to Glock 23 grip length with my Dremel tool. Works great. It conceals VERY well and stays in my waistband great. Maybe I should go into business ;)

I am considering doing the same to my G19 down to take G26 mags.

Why do this? Well, the ten round mag limit comes into play. And, I am one that likes a short grip but a long slide. Longer slide gives you more velocity, more sight radius, and less muzzle flip and for me anyway that loner slide makes it easier to keep tucked into things like my waistband. These are reasons I would prefer a cut down G19 over a G26.

So, it can be done to a polymer frame with nothing more than a Dremel tool and a little skilled patience. I have eyed my Kahr P9 and considered it, but I am not ready to do it yet.

Before the MK40, Kahr briefly offered the K40 Covert, which was the MK length grip with the K slide. I thought it was ugly, but there are some guys on TFL that swear by them.

If any of you guys wanna see what the "P9 Covert" looks like, check this out http://www.sonic.net/gunsmith/

How much does the $366 P9 to "SMP9" conversion really help?

Their MK9, K9, K40 package is $395.

Jeeze that's expensive!

Has anyone here had their work done on their Kahr pistol? Just how much can they really improve on the Kahr product?

(Or, what's wrong with the MK9, MK40, K9, and K40 as they are, except they're heavy?)

As I think most of us agree, We'll wait another year, then shell out around $400 for a whole new gun, the factory MP9... :D:D:D

I guess, if money's NOT a consideration for you, then the conversion would be worth it. But me, who usually can only buy one or two guns a year, and usually at the sacrifice of selling one that's lost favor with me, I'm a-waitin...

All you need is:

1) Hacksaw
2) Sandpaper
3) MK9 grips
4) Drill
5) 4 (so they all match) self tapping screws
6) MK9 mag (6 rounds)

Done! Voila, the new Kahr P9 Covert!

>> What are the screws for?

The MK9 has two screws holding each grip on. Most likely the stock MK9 screws could be threaded into the plastic mag well by just pushing hard and making your own threads. Depends on what size drill bit you use to make the holes in the plastic mag well. I'd use contact cement to glue the grips and screws on. That way the grips could be easly removed if you wanted to change them. Even if the screws don't take real well they will act as locating pins to keep the grips from shifting. Any screws could be used, but the MK9 ones might look more official and since you will probably have to order the grips - order the screws too.

Alternately you could just cut off the threaded part of the screws and glue the grips and screw heads on with contact cement. Add contact cement to the list whichever way you go. I just hate it when my grips fall off while I'm shooting!

Hi-Tower,

In regard to shortening the grip, I believe you are thinking of the K9 instead of the P9. The P9 has a polymer frame and, therefore, does not have removable grips as do the stainless framed guns (K9, MK9, etc). In any case, the thought of me taking a hacksaw to a $500 handgun makes me a little nervous. Thanks for the advice, though.

In any case, the thought of me taking a hacksaw to a $500 handgun makes me a little nervous.

Gee..isn't this how all gunsmiths do custom work? If you are skeered, say you are skeered! :D

Just kidding! I know how you feel. I hate doing any modifications on my weapons unless I know I can do it right the first time and make it look professional.

Good SHooting
REd

Back