Shortening a lever-action

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
Just saw a Marlin .30-30 lever. I liked the feel overall, but the lever stroke is somewhat longer than I'm comfortable with. Is there any way to shorten the action?

Pardon my ignorance, I've never owned a lever. :)

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper

Well, never "messed" with a Marlin, but I've got an old junker Model 94 I'm thinking about resurrecting. Looking at it, I see no way to do anything about the stroke.

I guess it's one of those deals where you're gonna learn how it wants to do, not how you want to do...

Just say to yourself, "It's historical, it's historical", and it'll all work out. Or, of course, "I'm hysterical..." :) Oh, well...

Later, Art

[This message has been edited by Art Eatman (edited September 04, 1999).]

There is no way of shortening the stroke on a lever action rifle, short of a total redesign. If you shorten the lever, there will be less motion, but there won't be enough power to work the action.

Jim

If the lever stroke seems too long, consider the possibility that the rifle's stock doesn't fit you. My suspicion is that the stock is too long for you to get good leverage on the lever to complete the stroke. It is far easier to modify stock length than to mess with the internal parts.

Back