Shortening a 22lr barrel

Sharkbite

So, with eform 1's now being accecpeted im ready to make the old M&P 15/22 into a SBR

The question is how short to go. I like that my pistols dont give enough velocity to bulk pack ammo to go supersonic. So im thinking about a pistol length barrel with my suppressor under the handguards

Anybody know what barrel length keeps velocity under the SoS?

First, I didnt realize they had enabled form 1's, as I am about to drop 2 of them in the mail. Thanks!

Second, I am also doing the same with a 15/22, and here is my thought process:

I want the option of keeping the factory HG (though there are adapters to put other HG's on there), which is 10" long. I want the suppressor I am using for this (Sparrow, at 5" long) to stick out by at least 2 inches so I can get it off easily. So I am planning on taking off enough to get it under the HG by 2.5 or so, which would also allow me to thread on the suppressor, or if needed something like a KAK Flash Can (cheap Flaming Pig) without worrying about heat/gas/lead coming out around my grip or the plastic hand guard.

I figure that if I know I want quiet, I can make sure I am using SV ammo, but I have also shot a 22/45 lite with a can that had some bulk pack rounds go super-sonic, so its not like a 4.5" bbl would guarantee quiet rounds anyways.

But if I knew I was cutting the HG to get it to fit the barrel, or replacing the stock HG, I would probably cut it around 7", and do a 4.5" barrel , and have the can stick out a little ways.

I have a very similar setup (not a M&P but a lower/upper I assembled).

Original intent was to go with 4.5" barrel, since I read it was the only guaranteed way to keep everything subsonic. Turns out, 4.5" barrels were extremely hard to find so I managed to get my hands on a 5.5". Had read that they keep "most" rounds subsonic. Used a 9" troy rail that a swr spectre II fits under with about 1" of can hanging out.

Findings- 99% of the time, assorted bulk pack ammo will stay subsonic and it's what I frequently refer to as "stupid quiet." Small pop, then a trigger reset that is louder than the actual shot. The other 1% is slightly louder and comes with a sonic crack. Either way... I could shoot the thing all day long without ear pro and have zero discomfort.

Good luck with your build- it's the type of little rifle that draws a crowd of people drooling over it.

Eform 1 submitted.

I went with a 7" length on the form. Im going to use the existing handguard and at 7" my can will stick out about 1.5". I have a fake can that i got with a 1911 22 that i can thread on when the real can is elsewhere.

I guess i'll just shoot subsonic ammo if i want "stupid quiet". Like i do for my 10/22

Im thinking this will be a really fun little toy

My Chiappa 1911 22LR has a 5 (I think) inch barrel and some bulk ammo goes super sonic. My Walther P22 has the shorter 3 inch barrel and even then stingers go supersonic.

Back