• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

"Shortened" signature lines....

Blue Jays

Good Evening Everyone-

Minor "rant" here...

Seems that there are quite a few TFL members with rather garrulous signature lines that take up several lines of space.

If one or more of these members are posting to a thread frequently, the bulk of our scrolling is to get past repeated, lengthy quotes from famous people.

Would it be (technically) possible for a signature line to be shown once per thread? At the same time, would it make sense to limit the number of characters available to a signature line?

Not looking for flames, but certainly interested in your thoughts.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~

Blue Jays-
The very subject came up in the lounge within the past 48 hours. Personally, I find long signatures a pain in the butt. However, we're not willing to limit them or add a policy asking that they be limited.

Sooner or later, those with excessively long sig lines realize that others consider these piggish.
Rich

------------------
Legalize Freedom

If I'm not mistaken the poster needs to check off the "Include signature" box, or at least it did at one time. Possibly a polite request to any with a long sig to take note and make sure it isn't check when replying more than once per thread.

[This message has been edited by RAE (edited July 31, 2000).]

RAE is correct

------------------
And who exactly were those guys in the black hoods firing rubber bullets and flash
bangs? Local police? THE SECRET SERVICE ORDERED THE SEATTLE PD AND NATIONAL GUARD TO CLEAR THE
STREETS OF ANY AND ALL PEOPLE!!!

Hi Everyone-

Well, figured it was worth "running up the flagpole" to see what you guys thought would be a good solution.

Rich, I guess it does kind of come across as "censorship" if people weren't able to personalize their signatures to their heart's content, so I agree with you.

HankL & RAE, it just becomes a matter of remembering if you want to include the signature each and everytime that you click on the "Submit Reply" button. ;)

Regards to all,

~ Blue Jays ~

In researching our papers which comfortably yielded an average of 5 pages, our professor limited us to only 2 pages, double spaced on the premise that, "Brevity is an excellant intellectual exercise." It remains valid today.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Related but on a slightly different wavelength ... why is the "IMG" tag disabled in the signature block?

(Grin!) Can you imagine twenty lines of signature PLUS pictures of the member, his wife, his kids, his cats, his dogs, his guns, his knives, his range, his house, AND a PDF file on "What I Did Last Summer" at the end of every post?

PS. Please notice I did NOT say a picture of "his member"! ;)
PPS. The term "his" is considered generic for the PC but awkward "his/her". Besides, what would she picture for... never mind.

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited August 01, 2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dennis:
(Grin!) <SNIP>
PS. Please notice I did NOT say a picture of "his member"! ;)
PPS. The term "his" is considered generic for the PC but awkward "his/her". Besides, what would she picture for... never mind.

[/quote]

ROTFLMAO!

Back