Shortened Remington 1100 12 Ga. Auto

racine

I had a Rem. 1100 with a 28" barrel that was incredibly reliable with any load I gave it. Recently I had the barrel shortened to make it easier to use in my house. The minimum Rem. makes their barrels for this purpose is 21" which is what mine is now. Problem is that when I did a function test it failed to eject or partially ejected the spent cartridge. I had been using low recoil/ target loads of 7 1/2 shot. Shooting slugs seems to work but not the 7 1/2 shot. Do I need to go to hotter loads? or what??? Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance...
TR

------------------
TR

See how some high brass loads work,Racine. My guess is you need a little more Geewhiz here to function properly.

And skip the slugs for HD, unless you live really rural or just can't stand your neighbors(G)...

Racine, I agree with Dave. This is a common problem on cut down autos. The factory puts a larger gas port in their short barrels. Hotter loads should cure it. George

I suspect that you need to enlarge the gas port a bit for the shorter barrel, since it's sized for the longer one.

Gentlemen,
It seems like a consensual agreement to fix this problem. Thank you for you valuable input and suggestions. I will try enlarging the gas port with the help of my local smith.
Shoot straight and safe.
TR

------------------
TR

Back