shorten length of pull

monoboy

Inactive
I have a M590A1, with the synthetic stock on it. I want to shorten the length of pull by about 1". I've removed the buttpad to test this, and I think it'll work fine.

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas other than a Speedfeed stock? I really don't have the $85 for a new stock. Also, don't really need to hold extra rounds, as I have a sidesaddle.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Use Mossberg's bantam buttstock. With a 1" recoil pad, LOP is right at 13". The only concern is that it's wood (painted black), rather than synthetic.

I've said this before. If I sound like a broken record, it's because LOP is always an issue with me, and I'm pleased with the way mine turned out.

My GF just picked a 590 up this weekend with a Bantam on it. Ideally, I'd need something inbetween in length. Maybe I could just stick a thicker buttpad on the bantam.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check Brownells.

Well, checked Brownell's, and the Bantam was 70 something. To get a buttpad like a pacmyer was another $30. That's more than the speedfeed. So back to the drawing board.

Anyone else have any thoughts.

I wish I could just cut my synthetic down, but there would be no way to mount the butt pad.

If you have the facilities, you could do what the Gunsite Pro Shop does when they want to cut down polymer stocks (notably on the M1S90). The Benelli stock is hollow so they use the following procedure:

1. Remove recoil pad.

2. Cut stock to size.

3. Insert and glue synthetic block inside hollow stock.

4. Drill holes in block.

5. Reattach recoil pad.

They charge over $100 for this service.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

I just ordered a Choate Mark 5 pistol grip/full stock from Bushmaster for my Moss500. You can add spacers to suit you, and the shortest length you can go with is 13", the same as an AR. For me, I think that'd be perfect, it's about 1 inch less. The factory length was just a bit too long for me to use the weapon comfortably.

Oh yeah, Choate makes the same thing without the pistol grip, if that's what you prefer.

[This message has been edited by LarryLove (edited May 22, 2000).]

I've never been all that enthused about synthetic stocks except for on accurate rifles,and this thread reminds me why. Even a tool challenged type like me can and do change stock length and other dimensions w/o all this trouble with wood.

One thing, outside of bad form, more poor shooting can be blamed on bad stock fit than any other cause.And, while it's just a theory, I opine that HD and slugshooter shotguns will benefit from being stocked like rifles rather than for winged prey.

Back