Short Video Review: Yugo Model 59/66 SKS from Classic Firearms

I picked up a Chinese about a year back. I did change out the sights to Williams fire sights. Big improvement when shooting and not noticeable at a glance. One of my favorite rifles to plink away with. Reliable, accurate enough and relatively inexpensive to shoot. Not to mention the cool factor that every rifle with a bayonet has. I'm sure you will enjoy yours. Looks great.

Thank you sir!

That sounds like a nice enhancement. I've been thinking about adding a Chinese SKS and even maybe popping it in one of those bullpup kits. Of course that would eliminate that sweet bayonet, so maybe it's a no-go there.

Honestly I don't shoot the SKS unless I have the bayonet extended. It's almost sacrilege not to!

I agree about the bayonet. The Chinese is a spike but I have bolt guns with blades to compliment it. I find them useful for troublesome waternelons that just won't fall to the 7.62x39. Lol

Very nice, especially the stock.

I just bought an unissued one from SOG a month ago, it came with a log book from Slovenia. I did not do the hand select. It's the one in the foreground, the one in back I bought last year. Both were born in 1970.

The unissued one had A LOT more cosmoline on it than the other one, it took me about 12 hours over 3 days to finally get it off. Also it was very difficult to get the bolt apart, the pin was in tight and I broke my punch trying to hammer it out but finally got it free. But it looked unfired inside, no carbon at all on the piston head. The other one I had to use sandpaper on it to get the carbon off. I found that mineral spirits worked better than acetone, but makes a lot more odor and the girlfriend was furious! :eek:

I do love the Yugo SKS variant, they just look awesome with the grenade launcher. Built like tanks, will be around long after your fancy ARs are recycled into milk jugs. ;)

yugos.jpg

The flip up sights, both on the rear leaf and behind the front post, are radium painted night sights. They almost certainly no longer glow due to radioactive decay, but they did when the guns were new and most certainly were night sights.

I just bought an unissued one from SOG a month ago, it came with a log book from Slovenia. I did not do the hand select. It's the one in the foreground, the one in back I bought last year. Both were born in 1970.

The unissued one had A LOT more cosmoline on it than the other one, it took me about 12 hours over 3 days to finally get it off. Also it was very difficult to get the bolt apart, the pin was in tight and I broke my punch trying to hammer it out but finally got it free. But it looked unfired inside, no carbon at all on the piston head. The other one I had to use sandpaper on it to get the carbon off. I found that mineral spirits worked better than acetone, but makes a lot more odor and the girlfriend was furious!

I do love the Yugo SKS variant, they just look awesome with the grenade launcher. Built like tanks, will be around long after your fancy ARs are recycled into milk jugs.

http://home.mindspring.com/~a.lo/guns/yugos.jpg

Wow beautiful rifles there! That sucks about all that cosmoline you had to wrangle with. My first SKS was in that camp ... even had a nice thick cosmoline -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- pop out of the gas tube. No such "luck" with this Yugo, as it looks like only a light amount of cosmoline in and on it.

I agree about the bayonet. The Chinese is a spike but I have bolt guns with blades to compliment it. I find them useful for troublesome waternelons that just won't fall to the 7.62x39. Lol

Ha! For sure. I have a couple Mosin bayonets on hand as well. Maybe I can do a video where I use the spike bayonet to roast the wienies and the blade bayonet to slice the bacon.

Just an idea.

The flip up sights, both on the rear leaf and behind the front post, are radium painted night sights. They almost certainly no longer glow due to radioactive decay, but they did when the guns were new and most certainly were night sights.

Thanks for the confirmation on that. When I was recording the video I thought I remembered something about these being night sights, but my mind was trying to figure out if that was a correct memory while my mouth was trying to talk and my fingers were trying not to get snapped by that rear sight. I was even thinking "oh crap I don't want to be that guy that's all 'check out my tacticool night sights'" ... and be wrong! ha ha

No problem. :)

You can get reusable 22mm training grenades (look like a thing Nerf football) for the grenade launcher that you shoot blanks with. Will kick them out really, really far!!! :D

Back