Short Bbl. Shotguns in CA???

Hi all.

I have been planning what I consider to be my "ideal" defensive shotgun. It consists of a Remingon 870 with a folding PG stock, SureFire forend, and dot sight (optional--to be interchanged with ghost rings by using two barrels. The purpose of the gun would be for close range defense and high mobility.

Here's the catch: I really want to have a short 14" or so barrel that is pretty much even with the mag tube. I know that this can be accomplished in some jurisdictions
legally with a $200 tax stamp or something, but I live in California. Is this a no-go, or is there a way that I can jump through the hoops to make this work?

Thanks for the help

A coupla things,Bill.

First, ever fire a short bbled shotgun in low light conditions? Between the blast and fireball, it's not conducive to accuracy.

Second, it sounds like you're after the shortest shotgun you can find. Trouble is, not one shotgunner out of 100 is willing and able to adequately control the beast.

Third, folders are great at reducing the overall length. In every other way,they're a handicap, not an aid.

Fourth, dot sights are bulky,and it sounds like bulk is a problem for you.

Looks like you're looking for an extreme CQB tool. I'm not sure a very short shotgun is the best choice.

IMO, some rethinking may be in order here...

Well Bill, your first problem is the folding stock. Here in California that makes your shotgun an assault weapon which cannot be brought into the state legally. You can forget about the 14 inch barrel. Check out www.regagun.org for more info.

A group of people took a 10/22 with all the aftermarket add ons to the legislature here in California, they cried "oh my, assault weapon...BANNED!" They took it apart and converted it back to stock and declared it not to be an assault weapon, so obviously, it doesn't matter what it does here in California, just what it looks like.

First off, I intend to have a couple of barrels for this gun. One will be an 18-20" with the scope mount and dot sight, while the other would be the 14" with ghost sights. The short barrel would be used in conjunction with the folding stock to make a very compact "entry-type" weapon that would be easy to store in a compact space, yet be a very effective weapon. This would not be a "all-purpose" setup, and I would be doing a substantial amount of training with it. I am simply curious as to whether it is possibel to obtain a legal short barrel shotgun.

Bobshouse,

I think that you have been misinformed as to California law, particularly SB-23. I am very familiar with the provisions in SB-23, and nowhere in the law does it state anything in regards to a slide-action shotgun. The law effects semi automatic shotguns that can accept a detachable box magazine. The 1994 Crime bill does still apply in terms of it's pre-ban/post-ban designations.
In addition, whoever was handling that 10/22 must not have been very knowledgeable in regards to SB-23, because the law specifically states that SB-23 only applies to "CENTERFIRE" rifles with detachable box magazines and at least one of the following features. (Flash suppressor, pistol grip, thumbhole, etc.)

In fact, I have a .22 rifle in my store right now that has a pistol grip. In fact, it looks much like an AK-47 (A really cheap AK-47, but nevertheless...)

The only way the 10/22 would be an assault weapon is if it violated the 1994 FEDERAL crime bill by having at least two "evil features" when manufactured into a complete firearm after September 1994.

My question regards whether California has any additional laws in effect that prevent the legal possession of a short barrel shotgun while in compliance with all federal regulations. SB-23 would not apply in this instance, as this would be a pump shotgun (and SB-23 makes no mention of barrel length)

Thanks for all of the replies. It stinks that laws are so complicated. I appreciate all of the help.

California Penal Code 12020
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable firearm, any firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a firearm, any camouflaging firearm container, any ammunition which contains or consists of any flechette dart, any bullet containing or carrying an explosive agent, any ballistic knife, any multiburst trigger activator, any nunchaku, any short-barreled shotgun, any short-barreled rifle, any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken, any unconventional pistol, any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade, or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy, sandclub, sap, or sandbag.

(c) (1) As used in this section, a "short-barreled shotgun" means any of the following:
(A) A firearm which is designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell and having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length.
(B) A firearm which has an overall length of less than 26 inches and which is designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell.
(C) Any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if that weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length.

If you like further reading, goto http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html and type in key word shotgun and search.

[This message has been edited by EW (edited October 12, 2000).]

Back