Short barrel question

Miflo

I'm thinking my next purchase is going to be a Robinson Arms XCR in 6.8. I was pretending to build one on their website and they had the option of a 11.5" barrell (with NFA registration). What is the process for registering a short barrel with the NFA? Same process as buying a full auto? $200 tax stamp and 6 months of waiting?

I'm thinking my next purchase is going to be a Robinson Arms XCR in 6.8. I was pretending to build one on their website and they had the option of a 11.5" barrell (with NFA registration). What is the process for registering a short barrel with the NFA? Same process as buying a full auto? $200 tax stamp and 6 months of waiting?

The process could be the same as buying a F/A. If you buy the rifle from Robinson or from a NFA dealer, then it would transfer to you on a Form 4 just like a machinegun or suppressor. If you buy it with a >16" barrel and have it shortened, then you would have to file a Form 1 which is the form to "make and register a firearm". You would be "making" a NFA item out of a non-NFA item. The $200 tax stamp applies to both, so one is not cheaper than the other. FWIW, the turnaround time on NFA paperwork can now be measured in weeks instead of months *usually*.

Barrels alone are not registered, but if you buy the whole gun (assembled or not) with a short barrel, the transfer must be on a Form 4. You can buy just the barrel with no problem, but if you "build" the rifle (assemble from parts) you will have to have approval on a Form 1 BEFORE assembling it with a short (less than 16") barrel.

And remember that YOU must do the work. If you have someone else assemble a SBR, that person must be an NFA manufacturer.

Jim

Back