Short Barrel Muzzleloaders?

BlkHawk73

Are muzzleloaders subject to the same legal guidelines/parameters as "normal" cartridge firing rifles/pistols are? IOW...can a muzzleloader rifle's barrel be cut to less than 16" or a blackpowder pistol (revolver) have an attatched buttstock and be legal without the NFA forms? Thank you for any assistance. Shoot safe!

Having *just* completed looking for a black powder/percussion revolver, I can state unequivocally, there are no restrictions on the purchase of a black powder fire arm ... at least as far as revolvers go, I am about to order a 1858 Remmington Army revolver through the mail and have it shipped to me next day UPS. No paperwork, no hassle (I think the same applies to rifles as well) I know it applies to flintlock rifles and pistols as well.

Kind of nice not to have to fill out all the paperwork, etc. and wait the 10 days (yes, I live in KA).

But keep it under your hat, or they'll start taking this fine sport away as well ...

Addendum: Just ordered a fine replica of this firearm, and am having it UPS overnited to my hotel room ... go figure.

And it doesn't even count towards my one-a-month handgun purchase ... I wonder what the rules are considering carry of this revolver. Yeah, I know, they'd get me on something if I didn't have the permit.

[This message has been edited by TR (edited August 17, 1999).]

As far as I know and remember, cartridge gun rules don't apply to muzzle loaders. If it don't take fixed ammunition, as far as the feds are concerned they barrel lengths, sholder stocks, rules/laws etc do not apply. Take a double barreled muzzle loading shotgun, chop it to 14 inches = ok, put a shoulder stock on an 1860 Colt Army = ok, do the same with a L. C. Smith cartridge gun or a 1973 Colt = BAD IDEA TIME.

PS Thanks DC for removing the errant post.
------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited August 17, 1999).]

Yes muzzleloading revolvers can legally have a shoulder stock. No it isn't a wise idea. Muzzleloading revolvers have a nasty tendancy to fire all cylinders at times. Grease on the chamber mouths is supposed to prevent hot gasses from igniting the charges, but it isn't 100%. If you have your hand in front of the cylinder to steady your aim (a natural habit), you can get hurt very badly. If you are confident that you can observe 100% safety 100% of the time under 100% of the conditions, then by all means get a shoulder stock and have at it.

If you check the State laws concerning dealdly weapons, you will find a gun, regardless of the means of firing a projectile, is a gun in the eyes of the law.

Most rifle calibers (.45 to .69) are made in both long and short arms. You can buy a single shot pistol in most heavier calibers, so the reason to cut a perfectly good rifle down is moot. A muzzleloading shotgun is a definate possibility, but the negative far outweighs the positive. (slow lock time, loading time etc.)

Check out www.dixiegun.com for a good on-line selection of muzzleloaders. They are great fun, a pain to load and create a ton of smoke, Remember though, lots of people were made horizontal by these BP arms.

------------------
Want to feel your age?Check it out. http://web.superb.net/boy/age1.html

Here in NY state, you don't need to license a blackpowder pistol. However, if you have in your possession the items to shoot it,(powder,caps,etc.) it must be registered and put on your pistol permit.(that's if you have one). If not, now you need one.

Isn't that a "cute" regulation?

My thought happens to be: what about importation of blackpowder/muzzleloader weopans into Mexico? A Mexican poster recently posted about no known regulations. A BP revolver under the seat and a blunderbuss in the trunk could be quite comforting :D .

There may not be the BS regs required with the purchase of a BP firearm...but purchase isn't the end all.

As was pointed out...its still a gun and if you do anything that would violate laws concerning modern firearms with it, your butt is owned. Be a test case...go into a federal court house with one. ;).

The only difference is purchase requirements/regulations.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

What Contender says about NY State also applies to England. If you bought a Brown Bess as part of your living history kit, and had no intention of shooting, no licensing. But if you pour powder down that replica of a 200 year of gun, you need police permission.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

DC ... no need to go into a courthouse, just try going thru security at the airport with it in your carry-on :) ... It will simply look like a pistol/gun to them, and you'll have a lot of 'splainin' to do...

Back