Short barrel for Ithaca 37

Frank

Inactive
I sold my short barrelled 870 last week so I'm down to 1 shotgun for everything. Where's a good place to buy a 18 or 20 inch barrel for an Ithaca 37? Thanks.

We've discussed this before, because I'm in the same boat. The consensus was that probably the best thing to do was to buy a regular barrel and have it chopped by a gunsmith. Ithaca barrels are so easy to change that putting the long barrel back when you go hunting is no big deal. Quality barrels for the Ithaca are so high that it's almost as cheap to buy another shotgun.

I called Ithaca and a new barrel is a little over $200. I think I'll hit the local gun shop this weekend and get an estimate on having the 26" barrel cut or see if they have any used pump guns on the rack.

I recall that there used to be a person named Tommy that was in GunList a few years ago who sold Ithaca 37 barrels (in the 'barrels for sale' section). Unfortunately, I lost all of my back issues of GunList when I moved and have not seen the ads from him in my most recent GunLists (1999 and 2000).
You may want to contact Gun Parts Corp or Sarco to see if they have any of the Ithaca barrels available. Both companies are online and they have email addresses to send your inquiries in. I think that there was a design change in the Ithaca 37s and they might require a serial number to differentiate between the two types they had. I'm afraid that I don't know what the change was, but I had heard about it in classified ads in Shotgun News and GunList as a post or pre time dated Ithaca 37. Good luck to you.

Back