short barrel AR

Huntman

I have had a bushmaster lower for some time
and while checking out uppers find that only
10,11.5 and 14 in. barrels are readily
available.Has any one used these enough to
know if they markedly change accuracy or
anything else compared to a longer barrel?
One of thse with a tele stock intrigues
me but I don't want to assemble something
useless.

(On other boards you'd be getting flamed and called an ATF agent.)

Seriously, Anything less than 16" on an AR rifle lower is illegal without a special tax stamp. You can only get the stamp after jumping through several hoops. It is called a "Short Barreled Rifle" (SBR) and is controlled by the NFA.

There are some 11 inch barrels (or there abouts) that have a 5 inch "flash hider" welded on to the end of them. The ATF considers that to be the same as a 16" barrel. I don't know why someone would want such a gun though.

If you are really having trouble finding an upper with a legal length rifle barrel, call 615-352-3091. That is a gunshop here in Nashville that should have them in stock. The upper is not a controlled item,so they could have it to you ina couple of days if you give them a CC# over the phone.

------------------
-Essayons

If your lower is a preban, you can put on a tele-stock. If not you're restricted to a fixed stock by the '94 crime bill. Olympic makes a fixed tele-stock if you're just wanting the look of a pre-ban.

The tele-stock is handy for getting in and out of vehicles and aircraft and the four position adjustable ones make getting the right length of pull handy for women and small statured shooters. But, they aren't the best shooting platform.

As for barrel length, Rob is right, unless you want to jump through the hoops and have a registered SBR your overall barrel length has to be 16". Many companies sell 10 -14.5" barrels with a flash hider or compensator permanently attached that brings overall length to 16".

The 10 and 11.5 inch barrels with the permanently attached flash hiders (legal on pre-bans only) are loud and uncomfortable to shoot. You also lose a lot of muzzle velocity with them. If you have a preban lower the best compromise would be a 14.5 M4 barrel with a permanently attached vortex flash hider. Bushmaster has these in 1:9 twist for $199.00. I think YTM has an extended A2 type flash hider for this application as well.

Colt is selling 16" M4 barrels, these barrels are 16" without the flash hider, so overall length would be an inch and a half or so longer. You also can't mount a bayonet on a 16" barrel, but you can with the 14.5. This is important to some people.

I'd stay away from the 10 and 11.5 inch barrels, unless you are just wanting to have a rifle that looks like the old XM177 series. If you are interested in building and XM177 clone, make sure you get a post ban front sight base without the bayonet lug as the XM177s didn't have a bayonet lug.
HTH
Jeff

Excuse lack of info.In canada we can do
most anything with a restricted weapon-
short barrel,folding stock,flash hider,
even bayonet if you feel the need.The dealer
has a stock of short barrels but difficulty
(as noted on other posts)getting much from
bushmaster right now.WE can also have shotguns with FACTORY short barrels-have
seen 12-14 in.adverts.Folding stocks allowed on anything.Just send firearm card with order and sent by return mail.W do have some opressive firearm laws but the U.S. has some strange ones also.Regards from the north.

Doom on Us.

Sorry for the Non-Nationalized Info.

In that case, Having shot several short barreled ARs, I can tell you that the muzzle blast and noise is annoying as hell.

Check the import laws and call that number anyway, if he can ship you the upper.

Canadians can have short barrels and folding stocks and that EVIL stuff?

Oh man, canada is going to hell in a handbasket!

What would it take to emigrate to cananda?

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

I've got one of those 11" barrels with the 5" flash hider. I suggest you never fire one without hearing protection. I did it once when I was younger and dumber. The sound is more intense than a 20" barrel, but I've fired those without hearing protection and had my ears ring for a week ( Live fire exercises). Accuracy isn't affected by much, but I wouldn't engage a target passed 200 meters with it. The ballistics of the .223 out of such a short barrel being the reason, not to mention the shorter sight radius...

------------------
Join the NRA!!!

Before all our members migrate north, Canada has a high capacity magazine ban. Sorry guys, can't bring them in, yet alone own them up north, regardless of what date they were manufactured.

For our Canadian members, don't be envious of our hi-caps, our politicos are struggling to catch up to yours. Wanna trade? I'll give your Feinswine, Boxer, Clinton, Schumer, Kennedy for free as a token of good faith to our northen neighbors. We can start trading after that. :)

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

4V50 Gary:

I'll second that and even throw in a Polanco, Villariagossa, and a PAIR of Clintons! :D

[This message has been edited by Destructo6 (edited June 02, 1999).]

I'll throw in Davis and all the rest of the liberl nazis from cali. I don't think anyone will mind if I throw in Gore to sweeting the pot

Back