Short action Winchester Pre-64

longfellow

For you guys who hunt with one of these (and I suppose you would have had to also have some experience with standard length action), do the short action CRF guns cycle and feed about as smoothly as the standard length? Do cartridges ride up under the extractor for true CRF or has Winchester permitted these actions to work like the Ruger 77 with extractors snapping OVER rims near the end of the feed cycle?
Thanks for your thoughts.

Winchester didn't make a short action until after 1964. I want to say it was into the 1980's when they first came out.

If you are asking about the CRF rifles made since the 1990's then yes all of them, long and short action feed fine. They will allow you to load directly into the chamber and the extractor will snap over the rim. Not only Ruger and Winchester, but all modern CRF rifles will do this and it is still true CRF. I've seen the rare rifle from Ruger and Winchester that may allow the cartridge to move forward 1/4" or so before the rim gets into the extractor. But it is under the extractor long before entering the chamber. It is a non issue with any of them.

The rounds coming from the magazine on any of them slide into the extractor and can be ejected without closing the bolt just like on the older guns. But there is a bevel on the extractor that will allow it to snap over. In other words it works both ways now. It has always been a fairly common practice to modify older guns to do this as well.

I've had 5 newer style 70's in 30-06, 300 WSM, and 308 as well as a Kimber in 308. I've had several CRF Rugers as well as several Interarms MK-X's over the years. All worked exactly the same, all feed perfectly.

To add:

I believe the Rugers you are referring to
the Ruger 77 with extractors snapping OVER rims near the end of the feed cycle?
were the 1st generation of 77's made 1968-1992. They had a claw extractor, but no cut out on the bottom of the bolt face for the cartridge to slide into. The extractor couldn't grab the rim until the bolt was closed.

Ruger corrected that with the MK-II that came out in 1992. Actually a handful of the 1st rifles did not have the cutout. That was corrected within weeks of the rifle being introduced and a PF Ruger MK-II is now a collector item.

i was given a 8mm semi sporterized mid war german 98 mauser in next to new condition that was D&T with a safety added with altered bolt handle years ago. i was planning to rebarrel it to a 270-308-3006, but after shooting it in its parent 8mm cartige i decided to leave it in 8mm and had the stock finished. i added a older 4x bear cub scope and with my reloads its a fine CFR(the extractor has not been beveled and shells must be fed up from the magizine) hunting rifle, shooting 1-1.5" groups at 100 yrds from a rest. i picked up a few boxes of barnes 180gr XFB 8mm bullets at a local flea market for 5.00 a box and i want to try them. eastbank.

1953%2030-06%201953%20308%20%20%20Winchester%20M70%207-8-2016.jpg

Here is my 1953 Win M70 308
Here is my 1953 Win M70 30-06

Back