Short action budget rifle?

Simmyqux

Inactive
Looking for some suggestions on a Predator rifle. Calving season is coming up for me and I don't want to take my pristine 222 out on the tractor with me anymore and damage it.

The budget rifles that have come out in the last few years seem to be very well suited to this task, however after looking at the Savage Axis I was turned off by putting such a short predator cartridge like 223 in a long action. Do any of the budget rifles such as the TC Venture, Ruger American etc use a short action?

If not I might just end up building out that stripped AR15 lower that I have been saving for a rainy day.

If you are firing from a tractor, building out the AR into a 16" carbine is probably the handiest option.

The Ruger American Predator is a short action, but the longer barrel and fixed stock might not be the best option.

Jimro

Ruger American compact in 223. Comes with an 18" barrel and a youth stock. I bought a 2nd full length stock from Ruger at about $80 for me to use and kept the shorter stock for the grand kids.

Cost about $350, weighs under 7 lbs scoped, drives tacks. I have one of the Predators in 308. Heavier threaded barrel, same length, but probably more powerful than you want.

http://ruger.com/products/americanRifleCompact/specSheets/6914.html

My brother has the 16" ranch model, it might suit your needs even better since it comes with a full length stock. This wasn't available when I bought mine.

http://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/6965.html

My predator in 308.

http://ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/specSheets/6974.html

Thanks for the heads up on the Ruger. The Ranch with it's shorter barrel looks like a very good option. I wouldn't be firing from the tractor as it has a cab, but getting in and out of it as well as getting in and out of my pickup with it would be MUCH easier with it being shorter.

Next time I'm in town I'll have to see if I can track one down to look at.

If your not worried about quick follow up shots a CVA hunter in 223 or 243 is under $200 at academy sports and is a nice little compact rifle.

I carry one in 223 pretty regularly.

If ya want quick follow up just build the AR.

I'm not sure what your "budget" is, but CZ makes a great and very handy magazine fed short action rifle in a number of cartridges (.223, .204, 7.62X39, 6.5 Grendel etc.). They can usually be found under $600 and have nice open sights on them as well. I've always wanted one and haven't had an excuse to spend the money on one yet.

That is certainly within the budget and it would come in about the same price as a lower end AR. CZ makes some darn good stuff but I forgot about them, thanks.

Whole rifle scaled down to the 223 Rem.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

My son has a compact axis in .223. I would have to look at it closely, but it definitely does not appear to be a long action. The only ammo I have shot in it is fusion msr. It shoots 1/2" 3 shot groups at 120 yds. Better groups than my Ruger custom shop, bull barrel m77 6ppc.

Back